Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK Update 3641, October 19, 2016

PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

------------------------------------------------

Summary of the 3641 update:

This Intel XDK release addresses installation issues introduced in the prior release. See the release notes for details.

If you are having trouble downloading the Intel XDK installation package (either due to failed downloads or timeouts), you can download the files directly from these links:

• [[{"fid":"528134","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default"},"type":"media","link_text":"

Summary of the 3619 release:

This Intel XDK release addresses several bugs and issues found in prior releases. See the release notes for bug fix details. New features added with this release include:

• Keyword-based filters for new project templates and samples
    • New Linux* and Apple* OSX* installers
    • New IoT project samples using Microsoft* Azure*

Feature deprecations with this release:

• Debug tab has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
    • The hosted weinre debug server used by the Test tab has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
    • The Live Development Pane in the Develop tab has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
    • The Framework7 and Ionic UI frameworks have been deprecated from App Designer and will be removed in a future release.
    Please read the Intel XDK release notes for detailed information about this release, and past releases. Our automatic updater will notify existing Intel XDK users when the update is available within the Intel XDK. Updates will be released to all users within 24 hours. If you would like the update sooner, you can download it directly from xdk.intel.com and install it manually.

IMPORTANT: With this release, the Debug tab, the hosted weinre server associated with the Test tab, and the Live Development pane located on the Develop tab have been deprecated and will be retired in the near future. When these features are retired you will no longer be able to use them with any version of the Intel XDK. Your project will continue to be recognized as an Intel XDK HTML5 mobile app project and it will continue to build (using the Build tab) and work within the Simulate tab. Follow the links embedded in each of the deprecated features listed above for more details and pointers to free open-source alternatives to these deprecated features.

Why is the Debug tab being deprecated and removed from the Intel XDK?

In addition to our previously announced deprecation of support for App Framework, within the App Designer UI editor, we are also deprecating support for the use of the Framework7 and Ionic UI frameworks. You can still use these frameworks outside of the App Designer UI editor, as you have always been able to do with any UI framework. Existing projects that are using deprecated UI frameworks will continue to be recognized by App Designer and can be edited within the App Designer UI editor; however, there will be no bug fixes for deprecated frameworks and, once those frameworks are retired, the App Designer UI editor will no longer recognize those projects.

Important note about Intel XDK versions 2893 and older!

Versions of the Intel XDK released prior to March 2016 (2893 and older) can no longer use the Build tab, the Test tab or App Preview and can no longer be used to create custom debug modules for use with the Debug and Profile tabs. This change was necessary to improve the security and performance of our Intel XDK cloud-based build system. If you are currently running version 2893 or older, of the Intel XDK, you must upgrade to the latest version of the Intel XDK!!

screenshot_xdk.jpg

Summary of the 3522 release:

This Intel XDK release is a hot-fix that addresses several bugs and issues found in the 3491 release:

• Crosswalk version 19 is now the default version for newly created projects. This update will warn you of any existing projects using Crosswalk version 18 (or lower). Google does not require that you use Crosswalk 19 (or higher), so this is just a warning, not an error.

• Several issues that generated a 'build tab generates ERROR (-7) from "client:upload-manager": Error in zipping package asset files:' error message have been addressed. This primarily impacted Construct2 users who were importing new projects or opening existing projects.

• The new Simulate tab did not present the window.screen object correctly. See this forum post for additional details.

• Attempting to run some Cordova apps that did not include any plugins would cause the app to crash or generate a 404 error in the Simulate tab. See this forum post for some examples.

• Replacing an icon or splash screen with a new file but using the same name for that file would cause an incorrect prompt regarding an invalid resolution. See this forum post for more details.

• Intel XDK crashes that resulted in "Error: ENOENT" and "Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function" errors when using the Simulate tab.

• Use of the <head data-noxhrfix> tag causes the Simulate tab to fail or hang. See this forum post for additional details.

• The 750x1334 splash screens (portrait and landscape) have been restored to the iOS Icons and Splash Screens UI.This forum post provides additional details.

• A custom require() function was placed into the global namespace by the Simulate tab preventing use of require() within a user app. See this forum thread for additional details.

Summary of the 3491 release:

This very important release merges the Intel XDK IoT Edition and the Intel XDK Early Access into a single release of the Intel XDK. We are moving in the direction of supporting Internet of Things (IoT) app development. Since mobile devices are part of that equation, we continue our support of the development of hybrid Cordova mobile HTML5 apps. For more details regarding this new direction, please read Joe's blog. a

We have made some significant improvements for both IoT and mobile Cordova app development with this release:

• Replacing the Emulate tab with a new Simulate tab.
    • Added a new Cordova CLI 6.2.0 build option (CLI 5.1.1 has been deprecated).
    • Moved iOS mobile provisioning files, icons and splash screens to a new "package-assets" folder.
    • Stability improvements and many bug fixes.

In future releases we will be adding more functionality for IoT app development. We will also be fine-tuning our Cordova mobile app support to align with the needs of IoT app development. As a result, we are deprecating some mobile app development features that are not heavily used or are inconsistent with IoT app development needs.

Feature deprecations and removals with this release:

• Profile tab has been removed. Please use the profiling features available in the Chrome Debug Tool (on the Debug tab).
    • Cordova CLI 5.1.1 has been deprecated and will be removed in our next release, likely in September 2016.
    • Legacy Windows 8.x build platforms have been deprecated. They are only available using CLI 5.1.1 and 5.4.1. Only Windows 10 UAP builds are supported with CLI 6.2.0. These older Windows 8.x platform builds will be removed in September 2016.
    • Game Asset Manager, samples and templates have been deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
    • Legacy Whitelist (Android only) was previously deprecated and is no longer available for new projects.

Summary of fixes in the 3400 release:

This Intel XDK release is a hot-fix that addresses several bugs and issues:

• Crashes at startup due to a variety of timeout problems.
    • Long startup times due to slow or spotty network connections.

Summary of fixes in the 3357 release:

• The built-in Brackets editor now includes a new "tab view" making it easier to switch between all of your active source files.
    • The standard Brackets Extension Manager toolbar is now exposed at the right-hand side of the edit window, where you will find it in a stand-alone install of the Brackets editor.
    • The Brackets Git Extension is now more easily accessed, via the standard Brackets Extension Manager toolbar (see above).
    • To minimize crashes due to the Emulate tab, the CDT debug window will automatically close when switching away from the Emulate tab, if you have enabled the "auto-refresh" feature of the Emulate tab (this is the default condition).

Summary of fixes in 3240 hotfix release:

• When selecting Apache Cordova* CLI 5.4.1 you were not limited to the minimum target of iOS 8 which resulted in developers attempting to build for unsupported platforms and then building what appear to be non-working apps.
    • If the index.html project file was not contained in the "www" directory of the project, The Emulator would display a '404: Intel XDK can't find your app' error.
    • In some cases, if the Publisher Display Name was not populated for a Windows* build, the plugin add and subsequent build for Windows would fail. Validation for requiring the Publisher Display Name has been added.
    • Corrected an issue where sometimes the plugin manager would not allow a third-party/local plugin to be added to the project.

Summary of new features in 3088/3042:

• We no longer support CLI 4.1.2 builds. Projects that use CLI 4.1.2 MUST be updated.
    • Added Cordova CLI 5.4.1 to the Intel XDK build system. See this FAQ for details.
    • A new Certificate Management feature allows you to create or import Android certificate keystore files and iOS P12 distribution certificate files.
    • The Build tab allows you to build your app for multiple targets with a single mouse click.
    • Android and Android-Crosswalk options have been combined into a single target platform in the Build Settings section of the Projects tab.
    • Crosswalk support in the Intel XDK is now based on the Crosswalk Webview plugin (AKA "Cordova 4" in Crosswalk docs).
    • A new Publish tab has been added to assist you with creating and publishing application assets and information to a variety of Android stores.
    • The Windows and Windows Phone build options have been expanded and significantly updated to include Windows 10 Universal Apps. Please use the CLI 5.4.1 build option for your Windows and Windows Phone builds.
    • The built-in Brackets editor has been updated to version 1.6 and several new Brackets extensions have been added.
    • Whitelist settings in the Build Settings section of the Projects tab have been updated.
    • App Preview has been updated (to version 2.8.0). Check the respective stores to be sure you have the latest version.
    • Updates to our project file format will require that all projects be "updated" before you can use them with this release.

This release also addresses the Google App Store warning regarding the use of older versions of Cordova-Android. You must migrate your app to our CLI 5.1.1 or CLI 5.4.1 build system to eliminate this warning and to be able to publish apps in the Google App Store after May 9, 2016. Our CLI 5.1.1 build system has been updated to address this issue (see this FAQ for specific details).

0 Kudos
59 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Wagner B. wrote:

I´m trying from many places (work, home, public wi-fi places) to download but all the time it gets "erros of networ" after  30 or 40% of downloads.
Please, help me out.

I'm assuming you mean you cannot download the XDK install files? If that is what you mean, please try downloading the app from this forum post > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/670497#comment-1886354 <

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

John L. wrote:

Since the recent update, when we add any graphic buttons in App Designer, assign a src image, the buttons constantly clear the image and set it back to  "undefined". Even the "image src" checkbox is cleared and we have to assign the image again. The images are standard PNG files but it doesn't seem to matter what image is assigned.

What we DID notice is that it happens only if we clear the Button label (leave the label blank). If we add a label, the button images remain intact.

Is anyone else having this issue since the update?

Using the Cordova/HTML5 platform, Windows 7.

I've asked our App Designer expert to take a look.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Shailesh S. wrote:

Hello sir,
we are unable to connect my mobile for  live debugging .
I am using windows 10 and Micromax 
Canvas 5.
Device is connected with pc but not shown in intel XDK.
In previous version of XDK it works fine.
Can you please share some instructions.

Are you able to confirm a proper connection to your device using the following articles:

Note that your machine may have multiple versions of adb and the Debug tab is currently not compatible with the latest version. If a newer version of adb is running you may have to stop the XDK, stop all adb processes and then restart the XDK.

0 Kudos
Alexandre_D_
Beginner

Hello Paul

I'm searching for a working example for Web service API to be used with the XDK release 3522. 

When I try to crate or save new Web services like it is described in : https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/using-web-services, it is not working at all. The Webinars cannot be useful apparently, because of the different behaviour of the 3522.

For understanding I would need to create a simple (user/password) service mapping, save it, use it in 2 different project. Is it feasible?

Many thanks in advance

Alexandre

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Aleandre -- I've asked a colleague to take a look at your question.

0 Kudos
Anjali_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Aleandre,

The tutorials and webinars might still  be useful. Though the location of buttons is changed they would still be good as the technique remains the same to import a web service. I would suggest trying to use the 'add new web services' button and updating the created documents using the article you linked. If you run into problems I can help you work around those. 

0 Kudos
Andrea_P_1
New Contributor I

Can you tell me a valid reason why Debug Tab will be removed in the future?

With the Debug and Android you can almost test an app that will work at 99% on any platform. Removing it will transform Intel XDK into a simple editor. Other debug solutions seems only poor hacks compared to XDK Debug.

Please, think twice before removing it.. i agree with you for the Test Tab but please.. leave the Debug enabled..

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrea P. wrote:

Can you tell me a valid reason why Debug Tab will be removed in the future?

From the Debug tab doc page > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/using-the-debug-tab:

This feature is being retired because, as previously announced and noted in the release notes, future editions of the Intel XDK will focus on the development of IoT (Internet of Things) apps and IoT mobile companion apps. Since we introduced the Intel XDK IoT Edition in September of 2014, the need for accessible IoT app development tools has increased dramatically. At the same time, HTML5 mobile app development tools have matured significantly. Given the maturity of the free open-source HTML5 mobile app development tools, we feel you are best served by using those tools directly.

Regarding using remote CDT to debug a built app:

The JavaScript console is your best friend. Watch this video (https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/using-the-test-tab), from ~19:30, for a technique showing how to modify code during your debug session so you do not have to rebuild your app just to try testing changes in your code.

0 Kudos
avi_a_
Beginner

Since the last version of Intel XDK, i receive only ZIP file with no APK file when i build my APP,  what is the problema ?

0 Kudos
John_L_11
Beginner

Possible Bug in the Publish tab?

Some data is not persistent from session to session. The Contact Details, Email and Website entries do not stay and get cleared when relaunching. All required fields are filled in, only these two fields lost their info. Is this normal?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Avi -- what's inside the ZIP? If you are building for Crosswalk you will download a ZIP that contains two APK files.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

John L. wrote:

Possible Bug in the Publish tab?

Some data is not persistent from session to session. The Contact Details, Email and Website entries do not stay and get cleared when relaunching. All required fields are filled in, only these two fields lost their info. Is this normal?

That is not normal behavior. I'll file a bug report.

0 Kudos
Márcio
Beginner

Im thinking to start develop html5 mobile apps in Intel XDK, but since future editions of the Intel XDK will focus on the development of IoT, it will still safe option to develop html5 mobile apps?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Marcio -- an "IoT Companion App" is a mobile Cordova app that's been optimized for use with IoT devices and IoT cloud services. What that means is that our system will focus on creating Cordova mobile apps that use Cordova plugins that are useful for communicating with apps running on IoT devices and for communicating with cloud services that designed for use with IoT devices.

Any mobile app that you start working with using the XDK will not be lost time or effort. As the XDK progresses, if you need to leave the XDK we will provide you with the means to move your mobile app to Cordova CLI. The XDK creates a standard Cordova CLI application, so any app you create with the XDK can be easily built and developed using standard Cordova CLI tools.

0 Kudos
Caspian_T_
Beginner

This error still occurs when you open the debug console:

Uncaught module cordova-plugin-camera.CameraPopoverOptions already defined cordova.js:79
Uncaught module cordova-plugin-camera.Camera already defined cordova.js:79
Uncaught module cordova-plugin-camera.camera already defined cordova.js:79
Uncaught module cordova-plugin-camera.CameraPopoverHandle already defined cordova.js:79
Uncaught module cordova-plugin-dialogs.notification already defined 

Even though it doesn't effect the app, it bothers me most of the time.

Any fix to this?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Caspian -- a fix is in the works. Not sure when it will be available.

0 Kudos
Alex_Hang
New Contributor II

Hello, and sorry for this question, but I want to find out if I am working now on a Framework 7 project, and you will remove Framework 7, will I be able to continue my work, or my project will be deleted.

And one more question, in the future, will I be able to use the App Designer ? will you ad other Frameworks or you will remove the App Designer. The app designer is very important to me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
0 Kudos