Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel compiler licensing 2016 with new node locked licenses breaks IncrediBuild

AndrewC
New Contributor III

People might know of IncrediBuild - easy to install and amazing software for distributing a build over a local set of machines - it's not necessary to install the compiler on the other machines ( it does some VM wizardry). It's so good that Visual Studio 2015 now includes it as a standard feature.

As you know Intel compilers are slow and .it can reduce ( in our case) a 1 hour build to 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, the new node-locked licensing scheme for Intel breaks a distributed IncrediBuild - you cannot distribute a build.  I realize that Intel wants to protect against cheating, but this kind of thing really pushes people away from your product. I have spoken to the vendor of IncrediBuild  and they can't do anything.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Light_Intel

Thank you for contacting Intel Support. I have escalated your issue.

Regards,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

I am not sure this is a support issue. If the compiler license is node-locked then distributing part of a build to another machine ( with another hostid) is something I would expect to fail. It's just a natural consequence of the new node locked licensing. 

But I almost love Incredibuild more than the intel compiler....it could be a tough call when renewal comes around.

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

I understand that. I escalated it to the people who make the decision which license model to use. Your input is important when we evaluate licensing decisions.

Noga

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Great! I appreciate being listened to on this topic.

0 Kudos