Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel compilers compatibility between versions

Didier_Rebeix
Beginner
Hi,

Can someone can make it clear how compatibility is handled/supported through diffrent versions of Intel compilers (especialy between 11.1 and composer_xe_2011_sp1).

Do I still need to (run time) link old binaries against the compile time intel provided DSOs or is it ok to (run time) link against lastest intel provided DSOs. (mkl, imf, svml, intlc, ...) ?

Is it safe to mix code compiled with an older version and code compiled with a newer version ?

Thanks !
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sridevi_A_Intel
Employee
Dear Customer,

Please post this question in Intel Compiler Forum (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/)

Thanks,
Sridevi
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Can someone can make it clear how compatibility is handled/supported through diffrent versions of Intel compilers
(especialy between 11.1 and composer_xe_2011_sp1).

[SergeyK ] I searched "Intel C++ Compiler 12.0 User and Reference Guides" and I foundtwo topics:

Language Conformance

and

Porting Applications

Please take a look. I don't have experience with version 11 but in cases when some C/C++extensions,
applicable only for version 12, are used the compatibility of some application could be broken.

Is it safe to mix code compiled with an older version and code compiled with a newer version ?...

[SergeyK] It is hard to answer because there are many unknowns and, in general, it depends
on how complexsome application is. It is always recommended to build all components
of some software with a latest version of a C/C++ compiler.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The policy for several years has been that object files built by an older compiler will work when linked with libraries of the next major version. So, object files built with 11.1 should work when linked by 12.1.
0 Kudos