Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel i7 processor

muthucrazy
Beginner

In the latest INTEL processor configuration says 4 core and 8 threads.By the statement i understood it is quad core processor but i am not sure about 8 threads.Any one explain what is meant by 8 threads and how it is different from OS threads.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tanvis
Beginner
its called hyperthreading!
0 Kudos
Rob_Mueller-Albrecht
Dear all,

you can find aditional information on Intel Hyper-Threading Technology and how it relates to the number of cores shown and recognized by your software stack at

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html?

Thanks, Rob
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Any one explain what is meant by 8 threads and how it is different from OS threads>>>

HT cores are logical processors with own gp registers, apic and access to XMMn/YMMn SIMD unit.Those cores are seen by OS as a processing units which are availabe for OS thread scheduling.

OS threads are like a containers which encapsulate streams of basic units of execution(machine code and data).Such a threads are represented by its own context two stacks(user and kernel mode) and various internal data structures.

0 Kudos