Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Is Intel XDK maintained at all?

Jason_M_1
Beginner

Some hours ago I reported a problem with Ionic framework radio buttons https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/622912

Since I could not work with it I decided to switch to JQuery Mobile and restarted coding my stuff.

When I finally finished working on my first page, I added a second page........ only to find out that the generated code for loading the second page (see below) does not work at all...!

$(document).on("click", "#goBtn", function(evt)
    {
        /*global activate_page */
        activate_page("#second_page"); 
    });

All it does is showing a blank white page..

Also I've been experiencing countless crashes during the development.

So I am asking, is XDK a serious project or is it just some experimental and not ready for production thing??

I really can't believe such simple parts like activate_page() are completely broken!

Please can other users share their opinions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

jQueryMobile is not under active development, you shouldn't use that UI framework.

activate_page is not provided by JQM. To link a button to a page in JQM use the Interactivity control in App Designer to link them. That'll set the href, the page-role, and whatever else is needed. You'll also get to choose  a page transition.

And, yes, the XDK is actively maintained. We just release version 3088 (IIRC).  In the next release we will be informing users that JQM, Ratchet and TopCoat are being deprecated, because those frameworks are not being maintained or supported by their developers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

jQueryMobile is not under active development, you shouldn't use that UI framework.

activate_page is not provided by JQM. To link a button to a page in JQM use the Interactivity control in App Designer to link them. That'll set the href, the page-role, and whatever else is needed. You'll also get to choose  a page transition.

And, yes, the XDK is actively maintained. We just release version 3088 (IIRC).  In the next release we will be informing users that JQM, Ratchet and TopCoat are being deprecated, because those frameworks are not being maintained or supported by their developers.

0 Kudos
Jason_M_1
Beginner

CHRIS P. (Intel) wrote:

Thanks for all you advices and information!

0 Kudos
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

From a developer point of view:

- It is free (I hope always be!!)

- It helps you to generate HTML5+Javascript code, you can always tweak any part that is not correctly managed with XDK.

- Is real that sometimes crashes, but I didn't lost any part of my work yet (fingers crossed!)

- Several frameworks to choose from.

- It is amazing the set of tools that integrates: emulator, live preview, debug while coding, debug on device, preview on device, building, and I'm missing several that didn't tested yet.

- Intel publish new versions very frequently.

- This forum works very well, besides answers from other coders, Intel's staff reply in an amazing short time.

- There are a lot of resources to get info and help, XDK specifically and of course, about javascript, html5, cordova, etc. 

I was looking a lot for a tool that do just the drag and drop part for hybrid apps. XDK brings you a lot more.

I'm using it from about one year. 

Regards

Diego
(a grateful and happy coder)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Thank you for that feedback, Diego. :)

0 Kudos