Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Looking to test my app on actual x86 android hardware

Kyle_H_
Beginner

Okay so I am working on an x86 version of my app, GoneMAD Music Player, and can successfully run it in the emulator.  Audio playback has never worked smoothly in any emulator (yes i have the hardware acceleration working) so I was wondering if anyone here had an actual device that could test out it out to see if playback was smooth?

Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/?5fhefc6jdde25qd

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alexander_W_Intel
Hi, I just did a quick test on a x86 phone with a 320k mp3 file and did not hear anything unexpected. Is there anything special you want to have tested? Thanks, Alex
0 Kudos
Kyle_H_
Beginner
Thanks, preferably a flac (48kz or under) file and ogg file. Those decoders were ported to x86 and would be a good indication if everything is working correctly. I really don't expect any issues but I wanted to be sure before releasing anything to google play. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Kyle_H_
Beginner
Khz*
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
Flac and Ogg are both working fine :-). I'm a little bit curious: What did you do for the x86 optimization? Just recompiled the NDK part? Thanks, Alex
0 Kudos
Kyle_H_
Beginner
Awesome thanks! My app uses 5-6 diff native libraries, most i just did a simple recompile with the ndk for x86. ffmpeg on the other hand has tons of optimizations for every different architecture, so I had to run ./configure with all the x86 switches before using the ndk. If i remember correctly there should be a few more optimizations i can make (like enabling SSE and some of the other supported instruction sets)
0 Kudos
Alexander_W_Intel
If you want/need more performance you could think about enabling Intel® SSE. The performance gain should be significant. All Intel phones on the market support Intel® SSE up to SSSE3.
0 Kudos
Kyle_H_
Beginner
Yeah I definitely want to enable the SSE instructions, I would imagine they would really help speed up decoding algorithms and whatnot. ffmpeg seemed to disable them when I did an x86_32 build (they were enabled in x86_64) so i'll have to manually enable them.
0 Kudos
JLuna5
New Contributor I

Hi, you are nice work!!!

0 Kudos