Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

MS Powerstation 4.0 limitations?

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I have been assigned to debug and improve a mathematical model that is written in Fortran 77 and compiled with MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0.

Previous experience with FPS has shown there are errors in the compiler. I was hoping there is a list of limitations and deficiencies of FPS that may reasons to justify the upgrade to CVF. I understand FPS is not supported, but technical deficiencies would be more convincing to management.

Thanks,
dfh
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
FWIW, I think that your own statement "Previous experience with FPS has shown there are errors in the compiler" says plenty. What more do they need?

Try this: Go to msdn online search and search on all the words powerstation fortran 4.0 bug. Then look at how many times you see the phrase "Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the products listed above. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available." How many times do you see any new information having come available?

As for product features, did you (or your management) look at the Compaq website?

CVF 6.5 home page

CVF 6.5 Product description

Come on, this is a "no brainer", even for Dilbert's manager. :)

-John
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
John,
Thanks for the tip. I agree it's a no-brainer, some of the people I'm to be working with are very resistant to change, and I'd like to hit them on the head with as much information as possible. A bug-list with hundreds of entries and no support should be plenty.
Take care,
dfh
0 Kudos
rahzan
Novice
df,
I agree that it is best to upgrade than to fix. But I must say that there were some lib fixes MS put out. I think I still have these but there is no place I can post them for you. perhaps if you email me.. still this is a good excuse to cut yor losses with MS.

Tim H
0 Kudos