Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 for Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows

Maulik_M_
Beginner

Hello,

I just downloaded and tried to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows. The installation called out for Microsoft Visual Studio but it was my understanding that Microsoft Visual Studio came in with software I purchased. This is from the below link, "Intel® Visual Fortran development environment based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013* Shell is included with Academic and Commercial licenses for Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows*."

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-160-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe#sysreq

Could you tell me that in order to run Parallel Studio XE, do I need to purchase MS Visual Studio separately or will the Shell included with the Parallel Studio work? I downloaded the install for Parallel Studio and it asked me to install MS Visual Studio before as it couldn't find it on my machine. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Light_Intel

You should not need to install MSVS when installing the Fortran Compiler. However you should choose to install the shell. Can you please attach a screenshot of what is blocking you?

Thanks,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Many people who don't have a site license for Visual Studio will be able to use VS2013 or 2015 Community to support the parts of psxe which require Visual Studio.  As Noga said, following the instructions on installation of VS2013 Shell, including acquiring free Microsoft SDK components, should allow psxe Fortran edition to work.  So you have multiple alternatives which don't involve additional purchases.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There is a message displayed on installation that is fairly long, and you might have overlooked it.  Yes, your license includes the Fortran environment based on Visual Studio Shell, but this also requires separate installation of the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 8.1. If you don't have that, you get a message and then if you proceed, you don't get VS. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk (linked to from the installation message).

Please let me know if this solves the problem for you.

0 Kudos
Maulik_M_
Beginner

I installed the MS SDK and modified the install attached is what the install says now. Not sure if my MS Visual Studio problem has been solved. 

FortranInstall_0.JPG

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You can ignore that message - it is of interest only to those wanting to develop and debug programs on Windows for systems with Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors. So it looks as if you're good to go.

0 Kudos
Maulik_M_
Beginner

Not quite. If I move forwards with the install I get stuck on this window with the 'next' button grayed out!

Not sure what to do next to fix this install?

FortranInstall2.JPG

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

At this point I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling. It did an initial install and I am not sure why it is not letting you proceed here.

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

How is it going? Where you able to install successfully?

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

This issue had been resolved. If you have a similar issue please start a new thread.

0 Kudos