Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Moving Development to XDK from PGB

ANdrew_F_2
Beginner

This is somewhat of a Noob question so I apologize in advance...

I have apps that have been published to the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. They have been developed in Brackets and then sent directly to PhoneGap Build for the .apk and .ipa files. 

I would like to move my development into XDK. I think workflow would be simpler than my current method, especially as concerns keeping the config.xml file and plugins up to date. 

My question is: will I lose some vital checksum or ID number or some other identifier that will keep Apple or Google from recognizing my apps and force me to re-release under a new name? Are there any other gotchas that I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew, the main issue will be your Android cert from PhoneGap Build. I don't know if you supply that cert or if they provide it for you. You'll have to get that cert (aka keystore) to sign your app when you build with the XDK. At the moment there is no way to upload that file to our system, but that will change very soon with the next release: we are adding a cert management interface that will allow you to upload your cert into our build system.

Regarding the iOS certs, you can download those again from your Apple Dev Account and then provide them to the XDK build system for performing builds with your app.

The rest of the process involves setting up the build settings on the Project tab and including your plugins. If you have any standard cordova preferences in your config.xml file that you do not find and equivalent to in the XDK build settings you can usually just include them in the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file (create a blank project and you'll see what I'm talking about). The PGB tags will not work, only the pure Cordova tags. You cannot copy the entire file into the additions file, just the inner parts.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew, the main issue will be your Android cert from PhoneGap Build. I don't know if you supply that cert or if they provide it for you. You'll have to get that cert (aka keystore) to sign your app when you build with the XDK. At the moment there is no way to upload that file to our system, but that will change very soon with the next release: we are adding a cert management interface that will allow you to upload your cert into our build system.

Regarding the iOS certs, you can download those again from your Apple Dev Account and then provide them to the XDK build system for performing builds with your app.

The rest of the process involves setting up the build settings on the Project tab and including your plugins. If you have any standard cordova preferences in your config.xml file that you do not find and equivalent to in the XDK build settings you can usually just include them in the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file (create a blank project and you'll see what I'm talking about). The PGB tags will not work, only the pure Cordova tags. You cannot copy the entire file into the additions file, just the inner parts.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
ANdrew_F_2
Beginner

Paul,

In PhoneGap Build you can develop an Android app without a keystore file but it only works for development purposes. You can't take the resulting .apk and send it to the Play Store. You have to have a keystore file that you must upload  to PGB to get a .apk you can release. So I've got my keystore files.

In iOS of course you have to have all your certs set up before you can get a .ipa to even look at, and I also have all of those.

So... I have the keystores and iOS certs if you've got the cert management....

Thanks for the info about the cordova preferences. SInce PGB has moved to the cli series of builds it has gotten much more in line with pure cordova including using cordova plugins and deprecating PGB specific plugins. That process is only going to accelerate. 

I'm looking forward to when I can move my apps to XDK so I can standardize the dev process on my end.

Thanks, Andrew

0 Kudos