Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Nothing happens after I give install.sh the port@host for the license server

Patrick_G_1
Beginner

I'm trying to install parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_composer_edition and the install script is not working.  flexlm is running on another machine:

[cnsit@license ~]$ hostname
license.cns.utexas.edu
[cnsit@license ~]$ /usr/local/flexlm/lmstat -c /usr/local/flexlm/server.lic 
lmstat - Copyright (c) 1989-2015 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Flexible License Manager status on Fri 2/10/2017 15:09

License server status: 28518@license.cns.utexas.edu
    License file(s) on license.cns.utexas.edu: /usr/local/flexlm/server.lic:

license.cns.utexas.edu: license server UP (MASTER) v11.13.1

Vendor daemon status (on license.cns.utexas.edu):

INTEL: UP v11.13.1

[cnsit@license ~]$ 

I run ./install.sh in the /root/parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_composer_edition folder, accept the license agreement and then answer 4

4. I want to activate by using a license file, or by using Intel(R) Software
License Manager

h. Help
b. Back to the previous menu
q. Quit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]: 4

I elect to use the Intel Software License Manager and give it the correct port@license server as per the output of lmstat

2. Use Intel(R) Software License Manager

h. Help
b. Back to the previous menu
q. Quit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]: 2
Please type the port@host for license server: 28518@license.cns.utexas.edu

After this I'm left hanging at a blinking cursor.  Checking the /opt/intel folder using another terminal, nothing is being installed.

What gives?  And yes, I am able to ping license.cns.utexas.edu from the host I'm trying to install the Intel compiler suite.  I also placed a copy of the generated license file in the /opt/intel/licenses folder, although it's not completely clear if or why this is necessary.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Markus_W_Intel1
Employee

Hello Patrick,

Is the only option that you have tried to install the product? Any success with that?

Please check your messages for me requesting more information.

Markus

Intel® Developer Support

0 Kudos
Patrick_G_1
Beginner

The problem was the flexlm license server actually runs on 2 ports:  28518, as reported by lmstat, but also on port 43058, which is the one apparently used by the Intel license check utility.  I had only opened port 28518 up on the server running flexlm, which resulted in the installation hanging, with some final note about not  being able to confirm the license in an intel.pset.root.* log file opened in the /tmp directory.  Opening up port 43058 on the flexlm server solved the problem.

0 Kudos