Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

OpenMP not supported with Intel MIC debugger

vincent_b_
Beginner

Hi,

When I want to debug an OpenMP application on MIC I get the following warning :
Can't load libomp_db library. OpenMP support is disabled.
$threadlevel is set to "native".

So I can debug but only in mono-thread mode...

libomp_db.so is found in /opt/intel/composer_xe_xxx/compiler/lib/intel64/   libomp_db.so
but not in mic's folder      /opt/intel/composer_xe_xxx/compiler/lib/mic ...

Thank you,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
James_C_Intel2
Employee

vincent b. wrote:

So I can debug but only in mono-thread mode...

Even without the libomp_db.so you can still debug mult-threaded code. The libomp_db.so is only required for additional OpenMP specific features of idb (which will be disabled without it); the normal pthread level of parallel debugging  should work whether or not you have libomp_db.so

0 Kudos
vincent_b_
Beginner

Hi James,

James Cownie (Intel) wrote:

the normal pthread level of parallel debugging  should work whether or not you have libomp_db.so

Do you mean that openmp regions are parallelised but some specific features are not supported ? Or is it that code developped with pthreads only is parallelised ?

Can you tell me more about these specific features by explaining or pointing out some documentation please ?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
James_C_Intel2
Employee

vincent b. wrote:

Do you mean that openmp regions are parallelised but some specific features are not supported ? Or is it that code developed with pthreads only is parallelised ?
Can you tell me more about these specific features by explaining or pointing out some documentation please ?

The whole discussion here is about the behaviour of the debugger. The behaviour of the OpenMP code is completely unaffected by what capabilities the debugger has. So we're not discussing what code is parallelised, but how the debugger can display and control parallel codes. Without libomp_db.so some OpenMP specific features of the debugger will not be usable, however the debugger can still debug the OpenMP code as if it were a simple pthread code (which, at one level, it is).

I am not an idb expert, but http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/idb-linux seems to be an introduction to idb and has a link to the manual.

0 Kudos
vincent_b_
Beginner

Thank you.

0 Kudos