Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Oracle VirtualBox

Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Hi,

I'm thinking of migrating to Linux Fortran native from Windows Fortran offload as all the offload lines are getting cumbersome.  Also expect to migrate to Knights Landing standalone.  Does anyone have any experience working inside Oracle VirtualBox?  Is there any particular Linux that seems to work best?

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

I'm not sure what the function of VirtualBox is in this scenario. If I am interpreting what you said correctly, you have a host running Windows and you have been using offload programming. You don't say what compiler you have been using, but since you are using the offload programming style, can I take it you are using the Intel compilers? Now rather than running with the offload style of programming, you would rather just compile the code to run directly on the coprocessor. You can still compile your code on the host system running Windows using the \Qmic option, then copy your code over to the coprocessor and run it or use micnativeloadex to ship it over to the coprocessor along with all the required libraries. You can find an example demonstrating this in the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor Developer's Quick Start Guide for Windows here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-xeon-phi-coprocessor-developers-quick-start-guide

0 Kudos
Bruce_Weaver
Beginner

Would be nice but we discovered that the compiler options to compile natively for the MIC were not available using VS.  I think the last time we tried that was with Intel Fortran 2013.  Has that been fixed since in 2015?  Actually, if you could, the best thing would be to send a 'hello world' VS Fortran solution which will compile and run natively on the MIC.  We spent quite a bit of effort last year trying to get it to work in 2013 &, including several interactions with Intel folk, finally gave up & went to offload, which is very labor-intensive to switch back & forth between Xeon & MIC.

0 Kudos