Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Packaging RealSense App

Tri
Beginner

Hello,

Is there any best practices or tutorials on how to package a RealSense application?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Tri
Beginner

As an example, this error occured while we're trying to install a RealSense app.

RSAppInstallationFailed.png

Is this kind of error caused by some mistakes in packaging the software?
And is there any best practices to avoid that? 

0 Kudos
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

You can find how to package and distribute your RealSense app @https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/2014gold/documentation/html/index.html?devguide_application_deployment.html. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I
Are ww going to have to package our applications like this for the competition or just include the executable?
0 Kudos
Tri
Beginner

Thanks again, David.

0 Kudos
CLi37
Beginner

I can not find runtime available in RSSDK. I do not think it is required to install RealSense runtime for contest, right?

0 Kudos
Tri
Beginner

According to Challenge FAQ here, the test machine already be loaded with Windows 8.1 operating system and the most recent release of the Intel® RealSense™ SDK. So, we may assume that only the executable is needed to be submitted for the challenge, right?

0 Kudos
Tri
Beginner

Any information on packaging the application for the challenge (and beyond), would be very helpful and much appreciated though. 

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

Please see information (including location of the runtime) is available here:
https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?devguide_runtime_upgrader.html
(in the documentation under Application Deployment Guidelines)

0 Kudos
CLi37
Beginner

I used Web setup and no runtime can be installed. Will try 1.4GB offline.

0 Kudos
Tri
Beginner

OK. Thank you, Colleen.

0 Kudos
CLi37
Beginner

Found runtime inside RSSDK\include folder. weird. Anyway got it.

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

I just submitted mine as an executable zipped up. Along with it was an installation to a .NET run time (If their version of Windows 8 doesn't come with it pre-installed).

The Faqs said either executable for installation. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the judges can run your submission.

0 Kudos
Robert_Oschler
Beginner

@Wezley

How did you go about including an installation of the .NET run time with your installer?  Currently, my app installs fine on computers that have Visual Studio installed, but not those that don't.  I thought Windows 8.1 came with everything a .NET app needed to run, but apparently that is not the case.

Robert

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

You need to include the Visual Studio Redistributable installer for the version you are using, and install it along with the installer of your app.

0 Kudos
Piotr_P_
Beginner

Can competition organizers confirm that zipped executable is ok?

0 Kudos
HexLord
Beginner

hi,

Is it Ok to upload the the .zip with executables (including .net framework) and the documents? or do we also need something from the SDK(RSSDk etc ) to be uploaded.?

As of now, I am uploading just my app executables along with the docs.

Also , is it necessary to have a "ClickOnce " with just one setup file for deployment.

My zip folder contains a few files and folders  but can be installed just by clicking the setup.exe

Thanks,

Shaleen

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

"Make certain your demo app is fully, 100% self‐contained in one executable or a zipped software package.  All drivers, libraries, and files MUST all be wrapped up in the installation executable or the zipped software package. The judges must NOT have to do anything but install the .exe or one click unzip. "

Got this from the faq. I just zipped up my executable for the program itself and included .NET installation in a different folder. I had a friend with windows 8.1 test my application without VS installed on his computer (Fresh Windows 8.1 installation) and the application ran fine right out of the zip file. I wouldn't worry about creating a full and fancy installation for the application when the end result should be that the application is usable when the judge goes to test it.

In my case they will just unzip the package and click the shortcut provided in the folder and the application will run. Should .NET not be installed on their computer then included in the .zip is the .NET installer. It is confirmed that 8.1 comes standard with .NET 4.5.

In my case since I already submitted I am hoping that the information given from the faqs is correct about being allowed to just zip up the executable instead of creating a full installer. 

Hopefully an Intel employee can confirm that this is alright.

0 Kudos
Colleen_C_Intel
Employee

To make sure you have packaged enough, see if it runs on a system with 8.1 and the RSSDK installed. (EG - remove anything else you may have added). - That's for the Challenge.

For any public release of your program, you'll want to be sure to package the runtime and anything you need that doesn't come in Win 81 (US edition) and make a note about N pack for non US.  You cannot assume that users will have the RSSDK installed.

0 Kudos
Tri
Beginner

Thank you for the explanation, Colleen.

0 Kudos