Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Project upload for building is slow

Stefan_Monov
Beginner

I've been testing my app only in App Preview so far. Now I wanted to try building it. But after clicking the "build" button, it takes 43 seconds for it to upload my project to the build server.

My project files (without the plugins dir) are about 4MB, while the plugins dir is about 20MB. I'm not sure if it's uploading the plugins dir as well. If it is, then a good speedup would be gained by removing unneeded plugins from my project, right? Anything else I should try as well, to speed it up?

Note that I have a pretty fast connection to the internet.

XDK Version: 2611

Building for: Android

Edit: I removed all plugins from the project and now it uploads for 10 seconds, so this is pretty much solved now. If there are any other possible speedups, I'd still like to know about it :)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Currently this is what you will need to do if you are trying to achieve a faster upload. The plugins are also uploaded each time you upload to the cloud.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

If you need some of those plugins in your project, you need to keep them, otherwise the build results will not be repeatable.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We are working on such optimizations. Please see the EA release for some of that (not to the level you describe, but better).

0 Kudos
Tarek_A_
Beginner

Hello,

Is there any updates on the upload optimization? I have a bad internet connection and I'm waiting ~15min each time I make a change for the upload to complete.

My project is ~3MB and all the plugins installed are ~3MB except the facebook sdk plugin which is ~40MB.

Is shouldn't be needed to upload everything every time I fix small typos.

Please Update whenever there is a better solution.

Regards.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Tarek -- if you do not modify any of the plugins in your project they will not be uploaded with each build. In other words, if there are no changes to the plugins folder inside your project, that file will not be uploaded for the next build. Before the upload the plugins folder is zipped and the checksum of that zip is compared to the last one that was pushed to the build system (via a request for the checksum from the build server). If the two checksums are equal the plugins.zip file will not be sent.

I'm assuming you are using 3522, because only the latest version implement this optimization.

0 Kudos
Gibson_D_
Beginner
Im using XDK 3641 after testing my app a few times on app preview it says no apps to dissplay... The apps are also not on the server anymore now im trying to push it back on the server and even try building it.. But they both taking forever.. Any help resolving this issue... Thanx in advance
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I just logged into App Preview with my account and I can see a long list of apps that I've pushed using the Test tab. Perhaps you are logging into a different account with the XDK compared to the one you are using for App Preview? Note that what you build does not show up in the App Preview list, only what you push using the Test tab, and the userid you use for login in the XDK must match the one you use to log into App Preview.

0 Kudos