Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Question regarding non-commercial download

prashanth_s_
Beginner

Hello, I am a PhD student at University of Florida in mechanical engineering. I working on a research project from the DOE. I get tuition assistance through a fellowship through the mechanical engineering department. I am working with fortran codes on my windows pc and my lab linux pc. I was wondering if I qualify for the student non-commercial download. One one webpage i found I am allowed to download it if I am using it for my thesis work, but not if I get paid. I am not sure if I am allowed to request for the license or not. I would like to get it because my fortran code runs well on my laptop, but it runs 3-5 times slower on my lab desktop (ubuntu 12.04). I use the gnu gfortran compiler on both computers, with the difference that my desktop has an older version of gnu (4.6) while my laptop has 4.8. I have access to the supercomputer at UF, which runs my fortran code fine if I use the ifort compiler, but runs 3-5 times slower if I use their gnu 4.6 gfortran compiler.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, for writing your PhD thesis you can use one of our student offerings as long as you will not be compensated for your work. For Fortran however, there is no free product license available; you can order a tools suite including the Fortran Compiler here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/discounted-student-pricing

Does this help?

Regards, Hubert.

0 Kudos
prashanth_s_
Beginner
I get a tuition waver and stipend from my fellowship through the mechanical engineering department. Is this what you mean by compensation? Does the compensation apply for what I get through school's department or is that with regard to the DOE funding the project?
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

As long as you are using the product for writing your PhD thesis ONLY and you are not compensated for writing the thesis or for any result upon your thesis, you are allowed to use a student license.

Hubert.

0 Kudos