Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Quick Win error in files qwgsvid.c line 593 & qwgswc.c line 522

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
In some PCs when I try to run a Quick Win application, it returns the following message:

"Out of Memory - Quick Win Error
E:forrtluildqwnbiuldqwgsvid.c line 593 "

followed by the message:
"Internal Error- Unexpected Error
E:forrtluildqwnbiuldqwgswc.c line 522"

Can you help me?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This usually happens when you have specified a large window and your display is set to a high combination of resolution and color depth so that the size of the bitmap QuickWin must create exceeds your available virtual memory. Also, Windows 9x has some inherent limits on the size of a bitmap. Try specifying an initial window with fewer rows.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I found this exact error message popping up when QuickWin applications built with DVF 5.0 were run on PCs with ATI-Rage graphics card and the color depth was set higher than 24-bits. Since humans can't perceive more than 24-bit color, simply lower the color setting on the problem PCs to 24-bits (nice marketing tactic by ATI offering 30-bit color, even 32-bit color; as if it makes a difference! Same thing in the color scanner world...).

Don't know why QuickWin apps have this problem, if Win32 GDI apps compiled under CVF also have this problem, or if it's been fixed in 6.x (I've purchased 6.1a a while back, but I haven't switched for fear of the compiler performance on my ancient P90/32Mb system--maybe this is the year they finally give me a decent development platform! In the meantime 5.0a runs fine on it, so that's where I'm staying (err, stuck).)

vr/Bonesly
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The problem appears when QuickWin has to create a large window - the default window has 40 lines, I think, allowing for scrolling, so you don't actually see the whole window at once typically. If you have high resolution and high color depth, the size of the bitmap can be very large. Windows 95 has limits, and your available virtual memory can also limit it.

This is not a bug in QuickWin, just a resource limitation. I agree that the error message could be better, though.

Steve
0 Kudos
grtoro
Beginner
I am having the same problem (using CVF 6.5 and Quick win) and I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1. How can I determine the largest allowable size? Is it total number of pixels or ax in a certain dimension?

2. Can I reduce the color depth with SETWINDOWCONFIG? I want to use this window to display a large monochrome (not gray scale) bit map file. SETWINDOWCONFIG is allocating 8 bits per pixel, when all I need is one bit.

Thanks,

Gab riel
0 Kudos