Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

RealSense Dev Kit on Windows 7 and 2nd Gen Intel Processor

Shubhankar_P_
Beginner

Hello Everyone! I am using Windows 7 on 2nd Gen i7 processor (2670QM), the camera is not working on my system, full specs of the system is given in the pic below. Can anybody confirm the working of camera on system like this? Its detecting in the device manager(see the pic), however the samples are not working and also the firmware update is not working. Any solutions for this? Please help as I am stuck and not able to do any kind of development. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
daflippers
Beginner

I suspect your PC does not have any USB3 ports.

Note the SDK requirement is for Haswell 4th Generation iCore CPU, Windows 8.1 and USB3.

Assuming you do not have USB3 ports then your configuration fails because you have a 2nd Generation iCore CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium and no USB3.  

Time to get a new PC.

David

0 Kudos
Shubhankar_P_
Beginner

Hey David (daflippers),

Thank you very much replying. I actually forgot to mention that I have USB 3.0 on my computer but the problem still persists. Do you think this problem is due to the OS requirment of 8.1. Is there any way I could solve this problem and could operate the camera in Windows 7 itself. Thanks in advance.

Shubhankar

0 Kudos
daflippers
Beginner

Hi Shubhankar,

I was just about to respond to your PM.

The OS is very important and must be Windows 8.1 (or 10) and the CPU should be 4th generation so I don't think you will able to make your setup work.

David

0 Kudos
Shubhankar_P_
Beginner

Thanks David, I think its time to update my system or get a new PC.. :)

0 Kudos
Shubhankar_P_
Beginner

Hello everyone again! As I was facing the problem posted above due to my config and the OS, I decided to update my OS. Luckily I got a great student discount for upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Pro. After upgrading I tried the camera and it is working flawlessly even with my 2nd Gen Intel Processor. So according to me, even if you dont have a 4th Gen(Haswell) CPU(which is a requirement according to Intel) , the camera should work if you try it out  on Windows 8.1. Also works well with unity. 

Shubhankar Potdar

0 Kudos
Ingo_D_
Beginner

Hello,

as I can tell from my own painful experience,

please note that it also depends on the USB3.0 chipset of your PC. My Notebook uses an ASMedia (ASM1042A) USB Controller chipset, which did not work with the RealSense initially, with the Standard driver provided by MS Update. I manually updated to Version 1.16.22.0, and then it worked.

As a matter of fact, RGB, Depth and Sound from the camera can be used in Windows 7 as well (use as a capture device), but the SDK refuses to work, unfortunately.

On win81, the same Driver issue exists.

@Intel: Why the Windows 8.1 requirement? In Industrial computing, Windows 7 seems to be Standard even for new developments.

0 Kudos
Jack_K_1
New Contributor II

Ingo,

Does the RealSense work on the ASMedia USB controller when USB 3.0 boost is installed?  I ask because another forum member had to remove the ASUS management suite (which uninstalled USB 3.0 boost) in order to get the camera to work on an ASUS  Z97-AR motherboard, which uses the Intel Z97 chipset for USB 3.0 - the motherboard has no ASMedia controller.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Hey Ingo, I tried the camera once in Win7, and the examples, even the raw access to the data one, would not run.

Did you actually get the examples, or a custom application, to actually retrieve data from the camera in Win7?

0 Kudos
Ingo_D_
Beginner

ASMedia: I have an ASUS but no USB 3.0 boost is installed as I did a fresh OS install (different OS) after reception of the laptop back then. What's it doing?

On Windows 7, use VLC player or MPC (http://mpc-hc.org/) to display RGB or depth data. The depth data is ill-formated, presumably due to the fact that a YUV2 container is used to transport the 16 bit monochrome depth data. None of the samples is working in Win7, so I guess it is a restriction of the SDK.

Ingo

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Interesting...

0 Kudos