Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Simulator cache

FP
Beginner

Hi there

Using simulate tab in v3922, it seems that the html cache is cleared/refreshed every time the simulator is launched, in previous version we used (3400) the cache was maintained between sessions, is this expected behaviour and can it be changed?

Also, the "Restart in save" option only works when files are saved in the develop tab, it used to work when saving in an external IDE?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The issue with the HTML cache being cleared with each launch is new, that is due to the change from the old Ripple Emulate tool to the new Microsoft Simulate tool. Version 3400 was the last version to use the Ripple Emulator. I am not aware of a workaround for this issue.

The "restart on save" feature does work in conjunction with an external editor on Mac and Linux machines. There is an issue in the underlying node-webkit that makes it not work on Windows. However, I believe that if you change the focus of the XDK to another tab (such as the Develop tab), after saving your changes in your external editor, and then switch back to the Simulate tab, the file changes will be seen. I don't recall the precise workaround, but there is a workaround that has to do with changing the focus of the XDK UI.

0 Kudos
FP
Beginner

Hi Paul

The cache issue is a huge inconvenience for us and is slowing us down, to the point where I need to re-install 3400 for decent emulator support - could you please give me a way to download 3400 - I understand I won't be able to build with it, I will install it on another machine.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sorry, but we no longer support 3400 and will not be providing an alternate download for it. We historically support only the current release and the two previous releases of the product (i.e., which would be 3619, 3759 and 3900 + updates). You can always install the standalone Ripple Emulator or use an external browser to debug those parts of your app.

The Ripple Emulator is available here > https://www.npmjs.com/package/ripple-emulator < but will likely only work if you export your app and set it up as a Cordova CLI application. See the second half of this doc page > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/build-xdk-app-with-phonegap-cordova-cli < for some ideas on how to link your CLI project to the XDK project, if you want to continue to use the XDK. Otherwise, your best bet would be to move completely to CLI.

Many Cordova CLI developers simply use a browser to debug the non-Cordova APIs of their app.

p.s. If you leave a config.xml file in the root of your XDK project folder it can interfere with adding and removing plugins, thus the reason you need to use the technique described in the doc page to "join" your CLI project with your XDK project (if you want to continue to use the XDK with CLI).

0 Kudos
FP
Beginner

Thanks Paul. We'll figure something out.

0 Kudos