Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Start New Discussion button problem

levicki
Valued Contributor I

Start New Discussion button is a javascript link. As such it can't be open in a new tab defeating the purpose of tabbed interface in all existing browsers. I want to be able to open new discussions in separate tabs or windows so I don't have to leave the current page.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gina_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Igor,

I have forwarded this along to our web team for them to consider. Thanks again for the great feedback! :)

Warm regards,

Gina B.
Intel Software Network Support
http://software.intel.com
email: ISN.support@intel.com

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gina_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Igor,

I have forwarded this along to our web team for them to consider. Thanks again for the great feedback! :)

Warm regards,

Gina B.

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Hello Igor,

Warm regards,

Gina B.

Excuse me but what is there to consider? Links should not be inaccessible without Javascript!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - Igor Levicki

Excuse me but what is there to consider? Links should not be inaccessible without Javascript!

The idea of making Intel web sites accessible from Itanium linux seems to have been dropped long ago. Itanium is marketed primarily as a back end machine, and tested primarily by remote VNC access, I suppose.

The web interface developers probably don't know how to work without javascript. I do wish they would document how to fulfill requirements which aren't supported by mainstream vendors such as Red Hat.

I try to get used to the inability to click on links when running linux. After all, I was around before the first browsers came out, and there have to be a few ways in which Microsoft is supported better than the alternatives.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - tim18

The idea of making Intel web sites accessible from Itanium linux seems to have been dropped long ago. Itanium is marketed primarily as a back end machine, and tested primarily by remote VNC access, I suppose.

The web interface developers probably don't know how to work without javascript. I do wish they would document how to fulfill requirements which aren't supported by mainstream vendors such as Red Hat.

I try to get used to the inability to click on links when running linux. After all, I was around before the first browsers came out, and there have to be a few ways in which Microsoft is supported better than the alternatives.

I don't use Linux but I am still annoyed by javascript links.

It wouldn't be such a problem if the site was fast but since Intel website is so horrendously slow I try to avoid using Back/Forward browser buttons at all costs. I open links in a new tab and I obviously can't do it with javascript links.

I really, reallyhate itwhensomelousy web developer (incapable of permanentlyfixing

tag font face in a CSS)starts interferingwith my surfing habits!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - Igor Levicki

It wouldn't be such a problem if the site was fast but since Intel website is so horrendously slow I try to avoid using Back/Forward browser buttons at all costs.

Both yesterday and today I got time-outs attempting to use the back button to move between forum sections on public internet. If this happens here, it must be worse elsewhere.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - tim18

Both yesterday and today I got time-outs attempting to use the back button to move between forum sections on public internet. If this happens here, it must be worse elsewhere.

You are absolutely right, it is worse here --it takes at least 5 seconds between my click and the moment the new page actually begins to render itself. Mind you, I may have a slow connection (1.5Mbps) by your standards, but this is not about bandwidth but the latency -- Intel servers are too far away (not geographically but in number of hops) so the latency is awfull. That is why forced navigation is a Bad Thing.

0 Kudos