Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Technological migration and virtualization, are they complementary?

KCav
Beginner

Rather than force a user to abruptly break away from routines that have become easy to perform, I think it might be a good idea to run Windows 7 in a virtual environment on the new platform; provided it is possible to hotkey from the new work environment to the old, and back to the new in a New York minute.  

My interest in this came about when after changing from an old fashion notebook to an Ultraboook with a Touch screen I discovered the Start menu has changed, of course.  Also, I realized that using a slow browser on a fast platform doesn’t make sense, so I left behind my beloved IE8 with iGoogle homepage and changed to speedy Google Chrome.  Then I found myself wondering how to save Favorites, block pop-ups, establish and maintain trust relations, all things I had become somewhat familiar with doing, and now have to consciously think about again. 

I am looking forward to making greater use of audio and video processing capabilities in the new 64-bit environment.  Since A/V files are large compared document files, and since Gmail offers a substantial advantage in terms of size of attachments over email, I intend to start using Gmail.  Therefore how to store my calendar and contacts list on my Ultrabook and smart phone using Gmail is a new consideration. 

If you share my interest in exploring the details of installing Windows 7, 32-bit in a virtual environment on an Ultrabook running Windows 8 in 64-bit mode,  please let me know. I would like to:

1. Carefully plan the installation of the Windows 7 in the virtual environment
  2. Make the intallation and validate it performance before starting to use it
  3. Log access to the VM and try an understand why users are reverting to Ole Win 7

KC

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Quoc-Thai_L_Intel
There is a blog on Dual booting Windows* 7 and Windows* 8 that may provide some answers. Here is the URL: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/03/20/dualbooting-windows-7-and-windows-8 -Thai
0 Kudos
KCav
Beginner
Thank you Thai, for your reply, but (1) I have already installed Windows 8., I need to add a virtual environment and install Windows 7 in it. (2) The first step in the procedure you referenced was make a backup using Redo Backup, OK, but I want to boot from a USB Flash drive not a CD. What do I need to do to convert an ISO? "What If " going back-and-forth between Windows 8 and Windows 7 is normally quick but sometimes it fails?. How can I log what files are being accessed? KC
0 Kudos