Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Trusted Execution Technology

paradium
Beginner
Hello,

As a software developer, I am interested in learning more about the Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). I think it's a very exciting technology. I've been following the developments in trusted computing since the TCPA (and later TCG) specifications, Microsoft's talk about NGSCB in Longhorn, Lagrande rumours etc. and it is very interesting to now see it all realized in hardware.

I've read the relevant sections of the Intel System Programing manual and the Q35 chipset spec as well as the preliminary spec on TXT. I'm very interested in writing some experimental TXT code and from reading product specifications it seems this would be possible using an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU as well as a DQ35MP or DQ35JO mainboard (featuring the Q35 chipset and a TPM 1.2 chip). My understanding is that I will need to have a chipset-specific, signed SINIT AC module loaded before I can launch my own MLE. The preliminary specifications suggest that the SINIT AC may either be loaded by the BIOS or later by system software. So my question is, is a SINIT AC module loaded by the BIOS on the mainboards mentioned or is it possible to obtain the SINIT AC somewhere else?

I've seen numerous references to the manual "Intel Trusted Execution Technology Measured Launched Environment Programming Guide" in the documents mentioned, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Is it possible to obtain a copy?

I'm also curious to know what usage models Intel envisions. It seems you are about to launch a vPro initiative and that TXT will have some role to play here. Does this mean that the TXT functions are not currently available to the wider developer audience ( i.e. is it mostly intended for vPro-usage at this point)?

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
paradium
Beginner
Thanks,howeverI was already aware of those links :)
0 Kudos
Steven_T_Intel
Employee
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tboot/
is a link for Trusted Boot. Trusted Boot (tboot) is an open source, pre- kernel/VMM module that uses Intel Trusted Execution Technology (Intel TXT) to perform a measured and verified launch of an OS kernel/VMM.
0 Kudos
viz_dev
Beginner
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tboot/
is a link for Trusted Boot. Trusted Boot (tboot) is an open source, pre- kernel/VMM module that uses Intel Trusted Execution Technology (Intel TXT) to perform a measured and verified launch of an OS kernel/VMM.

Hi,

I have an hp dc7800 machine with intel Q35 express chipset, which I believe supports VT. I have been trying to perform a tboot. I have looked around on the net for the SINIT AC Module for this chipset and I can't find any. Does anyone know where I can download one? Is this supposed to be produced by intel or hp?

viz
0 Kudos
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Asking internally on your behalf. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
David_O_Intel1
Employee
Here's what I was told:

This system *does* support TXT. You candownload the SINIT AC module for it from https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=205557&package_id=255119.Choosethe Q35 & X38 Express download and then the Q35_SINIT_17.BIN file from within the tarfile.

0 Kudos