Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unity 5.2 released

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi everyone,

Unity 5.2 has been released today.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/update/

And here's the release notes of what is in the update.

https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2

I'll test-drive the new version tomorrow and report back.

Edit: I've updated to Unity 5.2. now.  I encountered no problems at all.  The sense I get when running my RealSense project in 5.2 is that there isn't a noticeable performance increase of the camera like there was in 5.0 and 5.1, but it is very stable.  And that's the most important thing really.

Looking over the release notes, I see that 5.2 now supports export to Windows 10 and Windows Universal Apps (a Universal App is a single program that works on Win 10 computers, Windows 10 on mobile and Xbox One without changes).  That is potentially useful at a future date if the F200 camera can somehow be made to work with the Win 10 installation on Xbox One as an alternative to the Kinect camera (once Microsoft updates the console's OS to Win 10).

It's unlikely that there will be an R200-based Windows smartphone in the near future since the R200 mobiles will typically use Android, but I guess compatibility is not impossible if Intel one day support additional processor types such as ARM.  RealSense on Xbox One seems like a more realistic possibility right now though!

Edit 2: having edited a script for the first time in 5.2, I found that if you choose to download Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 when choosing installation components then it apparently becomes the default script editor instead of MonoDevelop.

1.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I came across a new yellow error message generated by Unity 5.2.

1.jpg

The error message is a little misleading in its reference to a Configuration Manager, as you normally expect components mentioned by the messages to be found within Unity.  The Configuration Manager is actually a part of the new Visual Studio 2015 script editor, however.  You access it by going to 'Build > Configuration Manager.'

2.jpg

In the Configuration Manager, left-click on the menu under the option 'Active solution platform' and select the 'New' option to add a new processor architecture definition.

3.jpg 

Since Unity is a 64 bit program after Unity 5.0, we choose the 'x64' option to match.  This updates the settings in the Configuration Manager from 'Any CPU' to 'x64.'

4.jpg

Once the Configuration Manager was closed, the yellow error disappeared from Visual Studio 2015's error message console.

This is not the first time that Unity 5 has been fussy about precisely defining processor architectures.  On the Build Settings window of Unity ('File > Build Settings'), it likes the 'Architecture' option to be set to 'x64' too in order for the full-screen 'Build and Run' run-mode to function correctly.

5.jpg

Edit: Visual Studio 2015 seems to be much more strict about what it perceives to be syntax errors in scripts that the old MonoDevelop editor had no problem with.  They are yellow warning errors rather than program-killing red ones.  Visual Studio also has a problem with the #pragma strict command used in Unity JavaScript scripts, as it seems to be a command particular to Unity's flavor of JavaScript (also called UnityScript.)

2.jpg

It also doesn't like the Collider reference in Unity event trigger scripts (of course, physics colliders are a part of Unity rather than the general JavaScript language.)

3.jpg

Since Unity itself shows no sign of having problems with the things that Visual Studio thinks are errors, it is probably best to take the 'La la la, I can't hear you' approach and prevent Visual Studio from detecting them.  You can do this by left-clicking on the 'Build + IntelliSense' option at the top of the Visual Studio message console and changing it to 'Build Only.'  All the remaining yellow errors then disappear.

4.jpg

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Update: regarding the suggestion near the top of this article about changing Microsoft Visual Studio's 'architecture' setting from 'Any CPU' to 'x64' to get rid of a yellow error: I have suffered constant Unity crashes since doing so.  This may be related to the fact that the version of Visual Studio installed by Unity is the 32-bit one rather than the 64-bit one, according to my Task Manager window!

So I recommend sticking with the 'Any CPU' setting and enduring the slight indignity of the occasional yellow error.  Or better yet, not downloading Visual Studio 2015 at all when installing Unity 5.2 (assuming it will default to the old MonoDevelop script editor if not installed), at least until the kinks of its integration with Unity have been smoothed out.

Edit: if you have already installed Visual Studio 2015 then it returns even if you re-install Unity 5.2 and do not select it as a download option.  Thankfully though, you can switch back to MonoDevelop in Unity's preferences.  Make sure you uninstall Visual Studio 2015 completely from your computer though, just to be safe.

1.jpg

The crashes seem to have stopped after going back to MonoDevelop.

0 Kudos