Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unity 5 released today

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi folks, 

Unity 5 has emerged from beta and is now available for download by anyone from today if you want to give it a try. 

http://unity3d.com/

0 Kudos
13 Replies
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Do you know if the Intel RealSense camera is supported in v5 free as well?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I don't know, I haven't tried it.  You would imagine that they would include the latest patches but we'll have to wait for someone to download and try it!

0 Kudos
Tyler_K_
Beginner

The big announcement from today was not just that Unity 5 was released today, but also that the free version is now called the personal edition and has all of the functionality of the professional version. So plugins and everything else should all work just fine.

0 Kudos
Wezley_S_
New Contributor I

Being a game developer myself, I am extremely excited about Unity5! 

I finally get to implement RealSense technology into all of my games! I just wish Unity5 was released 6 months earlier so I didn't have to build a custom engine for my RealSense App, but I am happy that I did build my own engine for the compeition because I learned so much.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Good point Tyler.

So, that means that Unity 5 Personal (free) may potentially also work with R1 SDK... interesting... (Unity 4 free needs R2 SDK)

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Great News coming from GDC15...Unreal game engine made free.Unity 5 in-house with personal edition for free.

Have to try RealSense on Unity 5.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I just downloaded the free Personal version of Unity 5.  The camera didn't work and gave the 'missing libpcx' message we used to get before Unity added the recent RealSense driver patch.  My project wouldn't run and neither would the samples.

It's possible the camera would have started working if I had used the 30-day Pro trial but I don't want to activate that until I really need it.

Also beware that as well as the usual auto-updates to your project when importing it into a new version of Unity. it also tries to change your project to remove what it considers to be obsolete elements (so if you are importing an existing project, I recommend clicking 'No Thanks' when asked if you want to upgrade the deprecated elements.)

Luckily I have a nightly dvd backup so there's no damage to my project.  I am going to return to the recent 4.6.3 P1 patch version of Unity with RealSense functionality enabled in the free version until the camera issue has been sorted.

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Thanks for the update Marty.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

My guess would be that this version of Unity 5 is probably the same one used with the beta test phase and they didn't want to introduce recent patches like the RealSense driver until the 5.01 version so that projects created during beta didn't end up being broken.

Still, it doesn't quite explain why the camera recognition would be broken in the Personal version if they truly had made all of the features that were in the Pro package prior to V.5 (such as C++ plugins) part of the free package.

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Till unity 5.0 Beta,there was only one version and only one release.But post final release, we saw two versions namely personal and professional.May be this is one of the reasons and also there are chances that they would be maintaining two release branches seperately.

0 Kudos
Thoriq_S_
Beginner

is Intel RealSense camera is now supported in unity 5 free?
i'm still using unity 4 because i doubt Intel RealSense camera is supported in unity 5 free. but my friend told me that the new UI feature in Unity 5 is very awesome.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, RealSense does work in Unity 5, thankfully.  The process for setting up a project in 5 is a little more complicated than with Unity 4 though.  Unity 5 is based around 64-bit code, whilst 4 was 32-bit.  This means that the Unity library files that are automatically imported by the Unity Toolkit application won't work with 5.

Instead, you need to manually import into a Unity 5 project the 64-bit camera files that are packaged with the RealSense SDK.  Then the camera will work.  The process is explained. in the post below by Intel staffer Rick Blacker:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/542710

If you are importing an existing project from Unity 4, Unity 5 also tries to "fix" the project by converting the code and replacing parts of the program that it considers to now be obsolete.  This can end up breaking the project.  This post explains how to fix some of the import errors that you may experience if you do try to import an existing project into 5.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/549510

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Thoriq_S_
Beginner

thanks for the information, Marty G. Now i'll try to migrate my project to unity 5

0 Kudos