Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Unity Pro

Jimmy_S_Intel
Employee

Does the SDK only work in Unity Pro?

If so, I am wondering why.

There is a lot of talent out there using Unity Free.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
JD_S_
Beginner

Thanks Marty G.

Did that and it got rid of the first error.

But I still get the second error. I found in the code were it is failing and had it print our the Status and got this:

Status = PXCM_STATUS_FEATURE_UNSUPPORTED
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:print(Object)
FaceTrackingManager:InitializeRealSense() (at Assets/Scripts/FaceTrackingManager.cs:715)
FaceTrackingManager:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/FaceTrackingManager.cs:603)

So the error appears to be saying the feature is unsupported.

Not sure what that means.

Were you able to get the Face Tracking Sample to work?

If I run the Raw Streams it works (not in Unity)

If I run the Face Tracking (C++) (not Unity) it say Init Started in the bottom left corner, but nothing happens.

This may not be a Unity problem.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The face tracking Unity sample (if we are talking about the 'Face Animation (Unity' one with the woman) had never worked for me before even when the camera was working perfectly.  It has started working for me now though with this R2 RealSense update.

I wish it had been working when I was making my own camera-controlled avatar, but it was built in a non-standard way (e.g not using any of the Action' scripts supplied with the SDK) so there wasn't much I could learn from looking at its object hierarchy (that being all I could do, since I couldn't get the actual avatar to respond).

Now that I look at the working avatar for the first time, it's interesting to see that even though it doesn't use the 'TrackingAction' script like I did (using an Animation Controller instead), it has the same kinds of issues I had to deal with in my own avatar, particularly with glitching out and changing facial features on its own when you move your head towards the camera lens.

I admire the fine-control over the eyelid and the way the skin either side of the mouth stretches and pulls during mouth movement - I efinitely want to incorporate them into my next avatar.  ^_^

Anyway, when I watched the error log during use of the sample, it continually generated a non-fatal error that said PXCMFaceData.PoseData.QueryPoseAngles() failed'.  So that may be related to the errors you yourself experienced.

0 Kudos
RickBlacker
Employee

Hi all... I'm a developer evangelist working with RealSense.  I'm going to help look into the problem.  One thing I'd like to suggest/mention is that the default location for RealSense is in c:\program files(x86).   I have noticed when trying to load up, run and or modify some of the sample applications I see odd compile issues.  This is because of the protection level of "program files(x86)".   Have any of you that are experiencing issues tried to move the sample applications out into a different location where you have read write access?

I have not tried this with any of the Unity examples, but it's just a thought while i try to investigate. 

Rick

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Richard, nice to see you on here!

Your fellow Intel developer and forum contributor Colleen's consistent advice about the samples is to either run them from the Sample Browser application or from the bin directory of the RSSDK folder in order to avoid the write-protect errors associated with running them from the Program Files folder (the samples were placed there by Intel to act as a master backup to be able to recover them if something happened to the writable copies of the samples stored elsewhere, if I remember right.).

The way I approach it myself is simply to install the entire SDK to the root C: directory instead of Program Files.

0 Kudos
RickBlacker
Employee

So, here is where I'm at so far.

I removed Unity
I removed RealSense
Downloaded latest Unity
Downloaded latest RealSense
Installed both

Created a new Unity project
Imported the Unity Toolkit.
Unity froze up on me, had to manually kill the Unity process

Restarted Unity
Re-Imported Unity Toolkit. This time it worked.
Created a cube, threw the Unity Toolkit Rotation script on it and configured it.
Ran the game/app
Got an error.  DllNotFoundException : libpxccpp2c

I'll dig some more, just wanted to give you all a heads up...

Rick

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Hi Richard, did you download Unity 4.6.3 from Unity's main download page?  If so, that version does not contain the code that enables the camera to work with the free version of Unity.  You need to download a more recent 'patch' version called 4.6.3 p1 which was released the other day.  It's the top link on their patch download page.

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

If you downloaded Unity from the main page the first time and then download this patch version, you will likely have to re-import the Toolkit afterwards and do the Ctrl-Alt-Del quit-out again.

0 Kudos
RickBlacker
Employee

Marty G. wrote:

Hi Richard, did you download Unity 4.6.3 from Unity's main download page?  If so, that version does not contain the code that enables the camera to work with the free version of Unity.  You need to download a more recent 'patch' version called 4.6.3 p1 which was released the other day.  It's the top link on their patch download page.

If you downloaded Unity from the main page the first time and then download this patch version, you will likely have to re-import the Toolkit afterwards and do the Ctrl-Alt-Del quit-out again.

I had not.  So I went back and downloaded the patch. Installed the patch.  After that I created a brand new unity project, imported the RealSense Unity Toolkit.  Threw a cube on, dropped the ScaleAction script onto the cube, configured it and *POOF* it all worked great.

I even opened up the sample browser, opened up a Unity Toolkit sample app and it seems to work just fine.  So, they key seems to be that you MUST install the actual patch.  Which is kind of strange because that is not patch at 1.3 gigs, plus removing the old install in the process.  That's a new release if you ask me. ;)

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Are you using Unity 3D 4.6.3 Patch1 Pro 30 Day trail to make this work with RealSense?

0 Kudos
RickBlacker
Employee

Hi Vidyasagar

Here is what I did. 

First I downloaded the normal download here
http://unity3d.com/unity/download

Then I got the patch from here

And you want patch
Patch 4.6.3p1
Release February 26 2015

In the release notes it mentions that Unity Free now supports RealSense. When I registered, I just did the free unity registration.  NOT the trial period version.

Hope this helps!
Let me know if you guys are still having problems. 

Rick

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, these days the word "patch" seems to be losing its meaning as the file sizes get larger and larger.

0 Kudos
JD_S_
Beginner

I am having some success.

If I drag the prefab Image, the camera comes on and I see an image.

PointCloudMesh also works.

Debug viewer crashes.

Full Fact Tracking comes up and turns the camera on, but I am not sure what that should do.

From the sample scenes:

All the scenes crash except Point Cloud and Object Tracking.

Not sure what Object Tracking should do. I see the camera and a block with an arrow. But nothing seems to happen.

If I run the Face Tracking Demo Scene from the SDK Sample Brower I get this error:

The camera does not turn on.

But if I add an image to the scene, then the camera does turn on and I see the camera image.

And from the Intel web site, I downloaded 3DMe, Personify, Madagascar - Move It! and Warrior Wave.

Warrior Wave works as it should.

3DMe seems to work, but when it gets to Scan, the camera does not turn on.

Madagascar says it can't detect the camera.

And Personify crashes as soon as it starts.

I Spy Pirate Ship crashes after selecting name. I did see the camera light turn on.

0 Kudos
JD_S_
Beginner

I may have figured out my main problem. I am not running a Haswell processor.

I am running Ivy Bridge

Doah!

0 Kudos
RickBlacker
Employee

JD S. wrote:

I may have figured out my main problem. I am not running a Haswell processor.

I am running Ivy Bridge

Doah!

Have you tried running any of the RealSense samples, like the C++ or C#... Technically yes, the SDK requires Haswell. 

0 Kudos
JD_S_
Beginner

Yes, some work, some don't.

This error makes me thing it is the Haswell issue:

Most of what I want does now work.

Time to upgrade.

I haven't needed to yet because the Ivy Bridge 990X Extreme does everything I need.

Until now.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I lost the first two weeks of development time after receiving the camera trying to get the SDK to work with an Ivy Bridge CPU.  I really, really hate to be beaten by tech problems, but once I had exhausted every possible thing there was to try, the only thing that worked was upgrading my PC with a new Haswell Core i3 CPU and matching Gigabyte motherboard.  Then all the errors ceased and the sample programs ran fine.

0 Kudos
JD_S_
Beginner

Ok that settles it then.

I believe it will solve all my problems.

But at least it now works in Unity Free. I am really glad I started this thread.

JD S. is my at home name and Jimmy S. is my at work name.

0 Kudos
Jimmy_S_Intel
Employee

Got an Haswell I7 on order from Intel. It is stuck in Colorado because of weather.

Uinty 5 Free is available for download.

I wonder if it will support RealSense.

0 Kudos
Jimmy_S_Intel
Employee

I guess this answers the question:

The big announcement from today was not just that Unity 5 was released today, but also that the free version is now called the personal edition and has all of the functionality of the professional version. So plugins and everything else should all work just fine.

This is wonderful news. Real looking water!!!

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

Three things included in Personal edition (free) of Unity 5

Engine with all features 
Royalty-free 
All platforms (limitations apply)

More details - http://unity3d.com/get-unity 

0 Kudos