Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

Using the Phi in the class room in a multi-user environment

Alan_P_
Beginner

Howdy,

We just acquired systems with Phi cards for Academic use. Our first programming class using the cards is about to start, and we are new to the both the development flow and to what we need to do for multi-user academic use. For instance we are not able to use our Active Directory accounts on the Phi card (even though they work on the CentOS host system). Could folks here point me to resources related to: class-room use,  multi-user environments with remote authentication, and possible cautions related to student users?

Thanks in advance,
  -Alan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

From what you said, I take it that you are running Windows on the host systems. This means you will probably already have read the MPSS User's Guide for Microsoft Windows. Have you also looked at the Quick Start Guide?

I'm more of Linux person myself, so I don't have a lot of advise except - if you have enough cards, let each student have their own coprocessor to cut down on memory oversubscription and contention for cores. If there are multiple cards in a system and the students are doing offload programming, students can select a particular coprocessor by adding target(mic:N) to the offload directives so that they use coprocessor N. NFS mount the home directories so that the students don't fill up the memory on the coprocessor with files and so that everything doesn't disappear if the card needs to be rebooted for some reason. 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Frances,

Could you ask someone from Intel Manycore Testing Lab to comment on various means.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

A good suggestion, but, unfortunately, the Manycore Testing Lab no longer exists.

Being a former academic, this is an issue that I feel is very important.

What did you end up doing? How is it going?

Regards
--
Taylor

PS Unfortunately, I've been unable to participate in the forums for a few months. Otherwise, I'd jumped in sooner.

0 Kudos