Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

VMware Workstation 9 collides with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013

Jack_R_
Beginner

VMware Workstation 9 collides with Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013. After I installed the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013, the operating systems I have created in the VMware Workstation 9 (with Easy Install), such as Windows XP, Windows 8 Pro and Centos 6.3 crash down easily, reporting ” A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation. Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.” or "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system", even if I reinstalled VMware Workstation 9 again and again. My operating system is Windows 7 Professional, running on a Thinkpad W520.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
I have been using VMware workstation 8.0.4 build-744019 on Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise with Windows 7 professional, and Ubuntu 11.04 guest operating systems running on a thinkpad x220 successfully. I have enabled VT on the thinkpad through system BIOS. I have installed C++ Composer XE 2013 under Windows 7 guest operating system without any issues. I will try installing the entire paralle studio 2013 to see if I can reproduce the problem. If VMware crashes due to an application (in this case parallel studio tools) then I tend to suspect VMware itself as the casue not the application. The VMware message you quoted seesm to suggest this: "The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation. Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.” or "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system" There have been a number of VMware 9.0 crash reports with different operating systems; one involving Centos 6.x. I would suggest you also contact VMware support to see if they are aware of the issue you are facing. From VMware web site http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003999 --mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...4. Is Parallel Studio being installed in the GUEST OS or in the HOST OS? This is a statement from the user: ...After I installed the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013, the operating systems I have created in the VMware Workstation 9 (with Easy Install), such as Windows XP, Windows 8 Pro and Centos 6.3 crash down easily... and I agree it is fuzzy, that is ...After I installed... ( Where excatly? ), and the user did not specify it. I think the user installed the Parallel Studio in the Host OS since it can't be inslalled in Centos 6.3 Guest OS.
0 Kudos
Leggieri__Mauro
Beginner

Hi,

The problem between VmWare Workstation 9 and Parallel Studio 2013 is caused by the Intel VTune driver. Don't know internal details.

Who those people that uninstalled Parallel Studio and still have problems, the real problem is that drivers are not uninstalled correctly.

You have to locate the intel vtune .sys files in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and delete them. Also remove the related "service" registry entries which loads the driver.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

By looking at the crash info I suppose that VTune driver could be responsible for VMM monitor crash.No valid explanation comes to my head beside the possibility that both drivers shared the same pool at kernel space and it was somehow corrupted.

0 Kudos
Finn_M_
Beginner

Great post I never knew about this thing so it is quiet helpful really great,.....

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

If there was possibility to obtain crash dump fIle instead of cryptic VMware error info.

0 Kudos