Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

VTune Amplifier for MPSS 4982

TimP
Honored Contributor III

I have been looking in vain for indication on whether VTune Amplifier supports the current MPSS 4982.  Although I have a current license, there is no category for problem reports on premier.intel.com.

The driver reports that it is running, but not communicating with the amplxe-cl or amplxe-gui:

Problem accessing the sampling driver......

./insmod-sep3_mic

The sep3_8 driver is already loaded!

Same problem with Update 2 (which was working prior to MPSS upgrade) and Update 3.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Frances_R_Intel
Employee
A quick search of the Premier queue "Intel® VTune() Amplifier XE" did not find a problem like this.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The VTune Amplifier category came back on premier.intel.com, so I posted the question there. There's just one category there to support all platforms, but it does present the option to designate a MIC target now (the VTune category didn't yesterday). There is still an internal Intel notice posted last November that internal support would be moved to Planet Blue blogging.
0 Kudos
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II

As you know now from your Premier filing, there has been an issue identified with the installer for VTune Amplifier XE 2013 Update 3 wherein it does not clean away the old collection drivers and so fails to push the new driver to the coprocessor.  There is a known workaround and this issue should be fixed when Update 4 becomes available.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Yes, it's necessary to remove all sep driver .ko files which date from before the latest Amplifier release (from mic installation as well as from Amplifier).  Robert supplied a list of required steps.

The current VTune requires all search paths for application binaries and libraries to be set individually; in my installation, it doesn't have any default search paths.

Is the documentation for VTune, including KNC command line usage, still available?  There was a .pdf included in the documentation directory of some past versions.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimization-and-performance-tuning-for-intel-xeon-phi-coprocessors-part-2-understanding

is the current document for getting a description of the most likely useful events (a big improvement over earlier offerings).  The official way to learn the command line invocation now is to use the amplxe-gui facility to generate a command line.

0 Kudos