Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Variable Name Search

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello,
I'd appreciate help in the area of searching tools. I haven't been able to find a tool in VF for this task that I think should exist. I'm working on an old multi-routine project where the author used variable names like "R". I'd like to change all occurances of "R" as a variable name to an array equivalent, such as "RTH(I)". If the author had used a more unique name, I'd have no problem, but searching for the string "r" gets far too many false positives.
Thanks, Jack M. O'Leary
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't know of an easy way to do the replacement, but if you select Tools..Source Browser and let it rebuild the application, a Source Browser dialog will come up. Uncheck the "case sensitive" box, enter R and select Definitions and References. You'll be given a list of all the definitions and references to R - you'll then have to double-click on each one to go there and make the change manually.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
You might be able to use "match whole word" in the search and the
search and replace functions. It would be nice to have "start of word"
and "end of word" options as well.

Bill
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks Guys,
Steve's suggestion of using the Source Browser is essentially what I was looking for. I've never understood this tool previously. Thanks for the hint.
Jack
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
I'd recommend "File substring replacement utility" ($15) by Gammadyne as a smart and reliable tool for multi-file replacements.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
You might be able to use "match whole word" in the search and the
search and replace functions. It would be nice to have "start of word"
and "end of word" options as well.

Bill
0 Kudos