Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Visual Studio 2010 does not support use of Intel C++ Composer XE?

chrtsta
Beginner

Hi!

I have downloaded and installed MS SDK 7.1, and I am now trying to install Parallel Studio XE 2011. In the start of the installation, I get this notice:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010* Shell is available for installing from this package.
Please note that Visual Studio Shell does not support use of Intel C++ Composer XE - it is for use with Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE only.

I can proceed with the installation and all works well, but I can not use C++ in Visual Studio what so ever. I have used the guides from Intel for the composer. When I open the C++-part in the Parallel package, Visual Studio starts, but without any apparent support of C++. Am I using wrong Visual Studio? Do I need a paid version of VS? Note that the SDK 7.1 is freely available from Microsoft.

Kind regards
Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Chris,
The 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2010* Shell' is part of the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2011 for Windows* for Fortran development only. This means you can use this Shell for Intel Fortran Composer XE development. But it is not suitable for C++ Development since all C++ portions are missing in this Visual Studio Shell.
For C++ you need a regular Visual Studio installation or - for command line usage only - Visual Studio Express (32-bit only) or a Windows SDK as specified in the C++ Composer XE release notes.
Dos this help?
Hubert.
0 Kudos
chrtsta
Beginner
Hi,
and thank you very much for the swift reply!

This help me very much. Just to be sure, you are talking about the paid version of VS? My mistake was that I somehow thought I had the full version, but I now realize that the full version is only available through purchase. Happily, my university do give me access to Microsofts e-academy service, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Chris
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Chris,
Yes, in order to be able to use the Visual Studio IDE with Intel C++ Composer XE integration you need a commercial version of Visual Studio. Only for command line usage free versions of Visual Studio Express and SDKs (refer to the Composer release notes) are working.
Hubert.
0 Kudos