Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Where Can We Post What We Think Are Developer's Manual Errata?

Jesse_S_
Beginner

What are the proper channels for reporting what we believe are errors we find in the Intel 64 and IA-32 Software Developer's Manuals?

While I realize they aren't intended as primary tutorial sources for beginners, errors here can still lead to a lot of confusion.

Some trivial examples:

Volume 1, Section 1.3.1 "Bit and Byte Order", Figure 1-1 "Bit and Byte Order" -- shouldn't the 32 in the picture be a 31?

I know I saw others, but the only one I can find right now turns out just to be written in a confusing manner, not a real error.

I didn't see a clear feedback / errata address or link on these documents.

Thanks,

A Developer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Harold_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can submit comments on software documentation here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/submit-comments-on-software-documentation

We track the issue in our internal tool and assign it to the appropriate writer to correct or address

Regards, Hal G

Intel(R) Developer Zone Support

http://software.intel.com
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

0 Kudos
Burger__John
Beginner

Hal,

I have exactly the same question, yet the above link is now dead after four years.

My first offering for such a link would be:

"Throughout the 10 volumes of the Software Developer's Manual, there are multiple references to A20M (sometimes with, sometimes without a hash (A20M#)). Those refer to any or all of "A20M# pin", "A20M mode", "A20M event", or "A20M interrupt" (sometimes grouped with other interrupts). I agree with all cases - except the last. Given the (ad hoc) definition "an interrupt vectors to a different block of code to handle the event", I wouldn't characterise an A20M event as an "interrupt". The opcode VMXON is defined to perform a #GP(0) exception if the CPU is in A20M mode, but that's a different kind of interrupt."

I'm ((re)re)reading the volumes now, and I'm sure I'll find some more.

Thanks!

John

0 Kudos