Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth file transfer problems ( Android-to-WindowsXP )

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

[ Updated on December 17th, 2012 ]

I have a Wi-Fi connection problem with an Android device. So, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 (7") could not connect to:
[cpp]
Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi )
Network Authentication: Open
Data Encryption: WEP
[/cpp]
Note: The device doesn't see that type of network!

However, it could connect to:
[cpp]
   Security-enabled wireless network
   Security-enabled wireless network (WPA)
   Security-enabled wireless network (WPA2)
   Unsecured wireless network
[/cpp]
Note: Verified in many places like cafees, airports, University of Calgary campus, etc.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

[ Summary as of December 17th, 2012 ]

A test with a MacBook ( Mac OS X v10.7.5 ) notebook was finally done and it successfully detected and connected to our Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi / Open / WEP ) created between several computers with Windows XP and Windows 7 OSs. The test was completed in less than 2 minutes without any issues and problems.

[ Summary as of December 4th, 2012 ]

- An update from Samsung for Android OS v4.0.4 ICS was recently installed on the tablet

- Wi-Fi Advanced Configuration Editor was installed on the tablet
  The application allows to see and edit advanced settings of a Wi-Fi network and it is
  downloaded from: market.android.com/details?id=org.marcus905.wifi.ace

- Linksys 'Compact Wireless-G USB Network' adapters are used on some desktop computers with Windows XP

- The following advanced settings of the 'Compact Wireless-G USB Network' adapter:

NetworkType
   ShowHiddenSSID
   WEPKeyUse
   SmartScan
   IEEE80211H
   WirelessMode
   CountryRegion
   CountryRegionABand
   AutoChannelSelect
   Channel

are considered as the most important and were modified many times during many tests

Note 1: NetworkType is set to 802.11 Ad Hoc

Note 2: Widest possible ranges for channels were selected:

CountryRegion ( Country Region 11G ) - #5 Channel ( 1 - 14 )
   CountryRegionABand ( Country Region 11A ) - #7 Channel ( 36 - 165 )

- Microsoft Network Monitor v3.4 was used on some desktop computers with Windows XP

- A Wi-Fi Signal Strength is always 'Excellent'

- A workaround based on a Bluetooth connection was considered, it works and tested. However, a transmittion speed and a distance between tablets and computers are two significant constraints:

A transmittion speed limitation of the Bluetooth connection - it takes too long to transmit large data files

A distance limitation of the Bluetooth connection - a tablet could be away ( many meters ) from a computer with Windows platform
  Notes:
  - That computer could be considered as a 'Bluetooth Server'
  - Some number of Bluetooth adapters are also needed 

0 Kudos
204 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I can't find another explanation. Also, this is what somebody posted on:>>> Strange that QC did not catch and fixed that issue.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I can't find another explanation. Also, this is what somebody posted on: http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g1/3506-changing-spoofing-mac-address....>>> Will you try to do this , as kind of last resort action?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Will you try to do this , as kind of last resort action? No. Two new Bluetooth devices version 4 will be used.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Two new Bluetooth devices version 4 will be used.>>> Are you going to use Bluetooth devices version 4 instead of Galaxy?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Two new Bluetooth devices version 4 will be used. >> >>Are you going to use Bluetooth devices version 4 instead of Galaxy? No and the tablet will be used anyway. Here is a list of configurations: - [[ Desktop with WindowsXP and BTv2 adapter ]] connected to [[ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet ]] - [[ Desktop with WindowsXP and BTv4 adapter ]] connected to [[ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet ]] - [[ Desktop with Windows7Pro ( as soon as I have one ) and BTv4 adapter ]] connected to [[ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet ]] - [[ Desktop with WindowsXP and BTv4 adapter connected to BTv2 adapter ]] on the same computer ( to simplify testing ) [Updated]
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>> Desktop with Windows7Pro ( as soon as I have one ) and BTv4 device connected to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet>>> What is BTv4 device? Is this bluetooth receiver?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Is this bluetooth receiver? Yes. Sorry if I didn't express it clearly.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Yes. Sorry if I didn't express it clearly.>>> its ok. Please post the update of your testing.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya. I've updated a post with a list of configurations: I've added square brackets to identify systems, like [[ System 1 ]] connected to [[ System 2 ]].
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
[[ Desktop with WindowsXP and BTv2 adapter ]] connected to [[ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet ]] - [[ Desktop with WindowsXP and BTv4 adapter ]] connected to [[ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 tablet ]] Sergey in post from Tue, 11/06/2012 - 07:11 you included two pics of Bluetooth devices.Are those Bluetooth radio receivers or Galaxy tablets?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... in post from Tue, 11/06/2012 - 07:11 you included two pics of Bluetooth devices. Are those Bluetooth radio receivers ... Yes, and as I've already described, both have the same MAC address.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Yes, and as I've already described, both have the same MAC address.>>> Now I understand it more clearly.I have been thinking that Galaxy tablets have the same MAC address. Were those receivers supplied with tablets?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Were those receivers supplied with tablets? No. They were purchased online at some computer store about 6 months ago. Unfortunately, it is too late to ask for an exchange and I will simply buy another two that support Bluetooth version 4.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>No. They were purchased online at some computer store about 6 months ago>>> When you will be installing your new devices I would recommend to check and monitor devices status with the help of usbview tool.Please consider also this tool link :http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/default.htm Can you also check receivers MAC address before buying them?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Can you also check receivers MAC address before buying them? Of course No but I will exchange a device(s) in case of MAC-address problems.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Of course No but I will exchange a device(s) in case of MAC-address problems.>>> Can not you buy those receivers personally?Maybe you will be given an opportunity to connect them to your laptop and check devices MAC addresses.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>...In order to eliminate this try to send files by Bluetooth to Win7 machine or send files between two Android devices... >> >>As soon as I have a new computer with Windows 7... I checked how these Bluetooth adapters are working on a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and the problem is reproduced as well. Here are two warning messages from the Event Log: Warning Message 1: Only one active Bluetooth adapter is supported at a time. Warning Message 2: Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during startup.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Technical details for the Warning Message 1: Log Name: System Source: BTHUSB Date: 22/11/2012 5:02:16 PM Event ID: 6 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DellPM Description: Only one active Bluetooth adapter is supported at a time. Event Xml: [Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"] [System] [Provider Name="BTHUSB" /] [EventID Qualifiers="32773"]6[/EventID] [Level]3[/Level] [Task]0[/Task] [Keywords]0x80000000000000[/Keywords] [TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-23T00:02:16.807523100Z" /] [EventRecordID]5322[/EventRecordID] [Channel]System[/Channel] [Computer]DellPM[/Computer] [Security /] [/System] [EventData] [Data] [/Data] [Binary]00000000010000000000000006000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000[/Binary] [/EventData] [/Event]
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Technical details for the Warning Message 2: Log Name: System Source: BTHUSB Date: 22/11/2012 5:14:21 PM Event ID: 18 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DellPM Description: Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during startup. Event Xml: [Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"] [System] [Provider Name="BTHUSB" /] [EventID Qualifiers="16389"]18[/EventID] [Level]4[/Level] [Task]0[/Task] [Keywords]0x80000000000000[/Keywords] [TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-23T00:14:21.787596400Z" /] [EventRecordID]5348[/EventRecordID] [Channel]System[/Channel] [Computer]DellPM[/Computer] [Security /] [/System] [EventData] [Data] [/Data] [Binary]00000800010000000000000012000540000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000E000000000000000[/Binary] [/EventData] [/Event]
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I didn't try to transfer files between Windows 7 system and Android device since I'm busy with verifications, configurations and installations on the new system. I'll try to do it soon.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
@Sergey Did you buy new BT radio receivers? Those error messages are generated when your new Bluetooth radios are connected.?
0 Kudos