Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Windows 7 issue

sml18
Beginner
I own a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family graphic board (that already came with my laptop). I've been using it in Vista with no problem so far. Recently, I intalled Windows 7, wich automaticly installed the latest driver for the board mentioned.
My problem is the following:
In Vista I get 128Mb of VRAM and 230MB in 'shared memory'.
In Windows 7, where I was expecting to be albe to run better games, I only get 64Mb of VRAM (the other 64Mb, are now in 'shared memory' making 294Mb).

I wish somebody could help me. I'm portuguese, so I apologize for my english.
(Sorry if I'm no tposting this in the right place)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
7oby
New Contributor II
Quoting - sml18

I noticed the problem when I was trying to run "pro evolution soccer 2009" (it requires 128mb VRAM). I used to play it in vista with no problems.

I don't think the amount of Video memory is the problem here. Both Vista and Win7 use up to 358 MB of Video Memory. The difference is just that the minimum amount is 128 MB in the case of Vista, whilst the Win 7 drivers are sufficiently smart to only use 64 MB if that's sufficient. This in general is transparent to the application (your game). You can read about it in this document:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

However I don't want to rule out a bug in the game that retrieves the total amount of memory available in the wrong way. That's contained on page 14 of the document. Maybe a patch for your game exists in this case.

If all that doesn't help and you really think it's the Win 7 driver, then a temporary fix might be to install the Vista drivers. That works - you'll loose WDDM 1.1 compatibility, which you probably don't need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
neointel_com
New Contributor I
Quoting - sml18
I own a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family graphic board (that already came with my laptop). I've been using it in Vista with no problem so far. Recently, I intalled Windows 7, wich automaticly installed the latest driver for the board mentioned.
My problem is the following:
In Vista I get 128Mb of VRAM and 230MB in 'shared memory'.
In Windows 7, where I was expecting to be albe to run better games, I only get 64Mb of VRAM (the other 64Mb, are now in 'shared memory' making 294Mb).

I wish somebody could help me. I'm portuguese, so I apologize for my english.
(Sorry if I'm no tposting this in the right place)

Hi there ... which version of driver are u using .... Please download the latest intel drivers from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com ... The Latest version is 8.15.10.1825 ... The drivers which come with windows update does not contain OpenGL drivers ... so download it from the intel site ... and Let us know if u have any more problems ..
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - neointel.com

Hi there ... which version of driver are u using .... Please download the latest intel drivers from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com ... The Latest version is 8.15.10.1825 ... The drivers which come with windows update does not contain OpenGL drivers ... so download it from the intel site ... and Let us know if u have any more problems ..

I've allready done that. I'm using the latest version (8.15.10.1825) but I still have the same problem. The SO runs fine. My only problem is with certain games
0 Kudos
neointel_com
New Contributor I
Quoting - sml18

I've allready done that. I'm using the latest version (8.15.10.1825) but I still have the same problem. The SO runs fine. My only problem is with certain games

Hi there ... can u please mention the games for which u r facing problem ... and also if possible try to provide the screenshot for any error u r getting ... i will try my best to pass ur problem to intel people ..so that they may fix this problem in the next driver version .. by the way a new driver is out .. 8.15.10.1912 ... check whether this driver has fixed any of the problems .. ( Though the release notes does not mention any fixes ) .. just try it out and let us know ...
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - neointel.com

Hi there ... can u please mention the games for which u r facing problem ... and also if possible try to provide the screenshot for any error u r getting ... i will try my best to pass ur problem to intel people ..so that they may fix this problem in the next driver version .. by the way a new driver is out .. 8.15.10.1912 ... check whether this driver has fixed any of the problems .. ( Though the release notes does not mention any fixes ) .. just try it out and let us know ...

I noticed the problem when I was trying to run "pro evolution soccer 2009" (it requires 128mb VRAM). I used to play it in vista with no problems. It showed me a message saying that I could only play in a litle window, and when I went check, I noticed what the problem was.
The image I added, shows memory details from my vista and my win 7 SOs (vista on the right side of the image).

[I've just installed the new driver but it didn't change anything]

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4772/semttulonz.png
0 Kudos
neointel_com
New Contributor I
Quoting - sml18

I noticed the problem when I was trying to run "pro evolution soccer 2009" (it requires 128mb VRAM). I used to play it in vista with no problems. It showed me a message saying that I could only play in a litle window, and when I went check, I noticed what the problem was.
The image I added, shows memory details from my vista and my win 7 SOs (vista on the right side of the image).

[I've just installed the new driver but it didn't change anything]

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4772/semttulonz.png

Ok ... I will try to tell intel about this problem .. Hope they will address this problem soon ...
0 Kudos
7oby
New Contributor II
Quoting - sml18

I noticed the problem when I was trying to run "pro evolution soccer 2009" (it requires 128mb VRAM). I used to play it in vista with no problems.

I don't think the amount of Video memory is the problem here. Both Vista and Win7 use up to 358 MB of Video Memory. The difference is just that the minimum amount is 128 MB in the case of Vista, whilst the Win 7 drivers are sufficiently smart to only use 64 MB if that's sufficient. This in general is transparent to the application (your game). You can read about it in this document:

However I don't want to rule out a bug in the game that retrieves the total amount of memory available in the wrong way. That's contained on page 14 of the document. Maybe a patch for your game exists in this case.

If all that doesn't help and you really think it's the Win 7 driver, then a temporary fix might be to install the Vista drivers. That works - you'll loose WDDM 1.1 compatibility, which you probably don't need.
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - 7oby

Thanks for the tips. About the vista drivers... I had no luck finding them (the same version). I'll try to search again. If you know where I can find them, please tell me. (you can see the driver version in the image I posted earlier)

0 Kudos
angelowrege
Beginner
Quoting - sml18

Thanks for the tips. About the vista drivers... I had no luck finding them (the same version). I'll try to search again. If you know where I can find them, please tell me. (you can see the driver version in the image I posted earlier)

Hi Sml18,
I have the same problema with Intel X4500HD. The PES2009 just recognize 64 MB VRAM and do not permit to run the game wtih a good configuration! Did you solved your problem?

Thanks
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - angelowrege

Hi Sml18,
I have the same problema with Intel X4500HD. The PES2009 just recognize 64 MB VRAM and do not permit to run the game wtih a good configuration! Did you solved your problem?

Thanks

No I havent. I just run pes with low configs.
Ill wait some time to see what shows up (drivers), and then I will think about this again. anyway, if you now anything else, let me now please.
0 Kudos
angelowrege
Beginner
Quoting - sml18

No I havent. I just run pes with low configs.
Ill wait some time to see what shows up (drivers), and then I will think about this again. anyway, if you now anything else, let me now please.

Hi, i have an idea about PES2009. Copy the entire folder of the game to a more strong computer (with a good graphic board) run the settings.exe, it will detect the configuration and set in the game. Copy back the folder of the game to your Notebook and DO NOT execute settings.exe I think thats work!

Im trying this moment.
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - angelowrege

Hi, i have an idea about PES2009. Copy the entire folder of the game to a more strong computer (with a good graphic board) run the settings.exe, it will detect the configuration and set in the game. Copy back the folder of the game to your Notebook and DO NOT execute settings.exe I think thats work!

Im trying this moment.

I installed a patch (van dark's patch). It was the updates of the 09/10 season and allows you to solve that problem. once installed, when you rune 'settings', it asks you if you want to enable graphic settings witch aren't officialy supported by your computer.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YK7B20H0 this should be it. Let me know if you need any help with that.
0 Kudos
ttn13
Beginner
Quoting - sml18

I installed a patch (van dark's patch). It was the updates of the 09/10 season and allows you to solve that problem. once installed, when you rune 'settings', it asks you if you want to enable graphic settings witch aren't officialy supported by your computer.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YK7B20H0 this should be it. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Thank you very much for help sml18. I cofirm this patch solves the problem with Pes 2009.

Now comes the new Pes 2010 which shows the same behavior. Since there is no kitserver for pes 2010 at the moment I tried to patch the settings.exe myself to enable high quality config. My patch seemed to work because it resulted in modification of settings.dat accordingly. But when I run pes2010, the game still runs on low config.

Does pes2010 need to be patched also or I missed something else ?
0 Kudos
sml18
Beginner
Quoting - ttn13

Thank you very much for help sml18. I cofirm this patch solves the problem with Pes 2009.

Now comes the new Pes 2010 which shows the same behavior. Since there is no kitserver for pes 2010 at the moment I tried to patch the settings.exe myself to enable high quality config. My patch seemed to work because it resulted in modification of settings.dat accordingly. But when I run pes2010, the game still runs on low config.

Does pes2010 need to be patched also or I missed something else ?

I can't help you with that. As my pc isn't a very good one, I opted to run pes 10 in a lighter operative system. So I have it on xp (dual boot). I don't have that problem anymore
0 Kudos
sinankaradr_com
Beginner
Hi

I have the same problem. And i have tried to install vista drivers to my win 7 but i cant, because the vista driver isincompatible with win 7.

I think the problem is because of the win 7 driver and we need new one.. So now i m waitin' for intel to release a new version of the driver...
0 Kudos
sinankaradr_com
Beginner
Quoting - sinankaradr.com
Hi

I have the same problem. And i have tried to install vista drivers to my win 7 but i cant, because the vista driver isincompatible with win 7.

I think the problem is because of the win 7 driver and we need new one.. So now i m waitin' for intel to release a new version of the driver...

can someone help me about this issue??
0 Kudos
j0hnmitchell
Beginner
Quoting - sml18

I've allready done that. I'm using the latest version (8.15.10.1825) but I still have the same problem. The SO runs fine. My only problem is with certain games.

Well your problem consists of a variety of things. Number 1. If you install a Window7 driver on your 256 MB video memory Device, (Video Display Driver), the computer will automatically take all that Video memory away and use it for the operating system and Shared Memory. The easiest way i can tell you to fix this is to do what I have done, it works perfectly. What you have to do is open up "Device Manager" (Right click "My computer" in start menu. go to the display drivers bit and Uninstall all your display drivers and restart your PC. Then what you need to do is download a Windows XP Display Driver, they actdifferently to a Windows7 Display Driver, and amazingly you will get your whole 256 MB instead of the 64 MB. I have done and tested this to every aspect it works fine. Go to the following adress and go right down the page until you find "Intel Chipest Driver" and "Intel Graphics driver" and click, download and install them and thats it. If u need anything else I would be glad 2 help.
0 Kudos
Happy_boy
Beginner
Quoting - sinankaradr.com

can someone help me about this issue??
same things happen with me....

i have searched about it but can't finD ANY SOL.
0 Kudos
sinankaradr_com
Beginner
Quoting - J0hnMitchell

i cant install that drivers because they areincompatible with win 7. Win 7 dont accept the drivers so any other opinion about the problem??
0 Kudos
chigo29
Beginner
how come win.& is not accepting rivers such as this?
is it not yet developed for win.7 compatibility?
0 Kudos
spagitarious
Beginner
Quoting - neointel.com

I used to have the same Problem , and I just found the Solution , Just used the Old Vista Driver , and now it works fine ,
the driver is version 7.15.10.1666 , and below is the link for the driver

Enjoy ;)
0 Kudos