Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Windows 7 issue

sml18
Beginner
I own a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family graphic board (that already came with my laptop). I've been using it in Vista with no problem so far. Recently, I intalled Windows 7, wich automaticly installed the latest driver for the board mentioned.
My problem is the following:
In Vista I get 128Mb of VRAM and 230MB in 'shared memory'.
In Windows 7, where I was expecting to be albe to run better games, I only get 64Mb of VRAM (the other 64Mb, are now in 'shared memory' making 294Mb).

I wish somebody could help me. I'm portuguese, so I apologize for my english.
(Sorry if I'm no tposting this in the right place)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
7oby
New Contributor II
Quoting - sml18

I noticed the problem when I was trying to run "pro evolution soccer 2009" (it requires 128mb VRAM). I used to play it in vista with no problems.

I don't think the amount of Video memory is the problem here. Both Vista and Win7 use up to 358 MB of Video Memory. The difference is just that the minimum amount is 128 MB in the case of Vista, whilst the Win 7 drivers are sufficiently smart to only use 64 MB if that's sufficient. This in general is transparent to the application (your game). You can read about it in this document:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

However I don't want to rule out a bug in the game that retrieves the total amount of memory available in the wrong way. That's contained on page 14 of the document. Maybe a patch for your game exists in this case.

If all that doesn't help and you really think it's the Win 7 driver, then a temporary fix might be to install the Vista drivers. That works - you'll loose WDDM 1.1 compatibility, which you probably don't need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
seomul
Beginner
We have seen these types of problem since win 3.1. they simply left things behind for us in new version.
0 Kudos