Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

[feature request] One click install

Toby_R
New Contributor I

Projects usually have some custom libraries. When testing over WiFi or emulating, some of those libraries are simply not supported (for instance I am testing local notifications now). I have to build an apk than download it to my PC, copy to mobile, install on mobile etc. Many steps to do just to test one build version.

Could you please consider a feature which will copy already built apk to connected device with one click? Or even install it stright away if possible. Would be really comfortable.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

Tobiasz, installing an apk can be made simpler by just emailing it to yourself. Then you can just open the email app on your phone and download the apk. Once downloaded, click to install. 

Alternatively, I think the solution for you is to use the custom debug module. When debugging an HTML5+Cordova project with a USB-connected Android device, the Intel XDK attempts to simulate a built app by including the plugins specified in your app's Project tab in a custom debug module. The Intel XDK uploads your project plugin selections and project settings (to the Intel XDK cloud-based build system) and builds this custom debug module an then downloads and installs it onto your USB-connected Android device. Third party plugins can be tested this way. 

Read the related documentation here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/using-the-debug-tab

0 Kudos
Toby_R
New Contributor I

Thanks for your reply Anusha.

I know about these solutions but emails are not always instantly on your email-box, and using Intel XDK debugging takes really a lot of time to accomplish the whole process. I think your servers are overloaded in some hours, because sometimes it takes me several seconds to download a built APK and other time it takes 10 minutes.

While testing new features it is usually needed to make small change in the project and test, then again and again. So can't choose any of mentioned solution in order to make it fast. Therefore I do it "manually".

So still I'd vote for a button "install on connected device" or "move apk to connected device" (to some predefined directory let's say).

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Tobiasz -- when using the Debug tab, if you make a change to a source file in your app and then switch back to the Debug tab (for example, switch to the Develop tab, make a change, switch to the Debug tab) you will be prompted to reload your code. It is nearly as fast as the Emulate tab and should give you most of what you need without having to rebuild the debug module.

0 Kudos