Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

hostname or ipname in license file flexlm

Jaeger__Philipp
Beginner

I wish to install the flexlm server on a host which belongs to several networks. The hostname of that server points to a network that the compute nodes cannot access. Therefore, if they try to reach the license server by the name in the license file they cannot reach it.

My question is : when you create a license file you ask for a hostname and an lmhostid. Does it have to be the hostname or can it be an ipname that points to a different network ?

If it is the hostname does it mean I must provide my compute nodes with a route to the hostname so they can reach the flexlm server ?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Patrick Jager

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Patrick,

You can run a license manager on a machine and access it from clients from different subnets. In this case you should specify the full hostname including domain(s) or the IP address as hostname.
Does this answer your question?

Regards, Hubert.
0 Kudos
Jaeger__Philipp
Beginner
Hubert,

Thank you for your answer. The question remains can the ip address or full name be different from what the command hostname (or uname -n) returns on the license server ? Because we want the hostname to point to the public network and flexlm to run on the admin network.

Our concern is whether the flexlm server checks that the hostname in the license file is the same as what uname -n answers or its ip address.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Patrick Jager
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Patrick,
Sorry for the delay. I need to clarify.
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Patrick,

Sorry for the delay. As far as I could figure out the license manager can be reached from clients only via it's the hostname or IP address, i.e. what hostname issues or what ifocnofg issues for it's ethx.

What's important for the license file is the MAC address only. You can use any of what lmhostid issues. Changing the hostid requires going through 'Modify' in the Intel Registration Center as described in this knowledge base article: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/change--serverhost-data-node-locked-or-floating-license/

Hostnames or IP addresses are not encrypted in the license file. So you can change hostnames/IPs in the license file with an editor and try out wheter the license manager can be reached. In any case you should specify the full hostname including the full domain names.

Regards, Hubert.

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
Patrick, I'd like to know whether you found a solution. If the server has more network interfaces it also has more MAC addresses that could be used for encrypting the license file. Any MAC-address found by lmutil lmhostid can be used. Did you find an IP/MAC-address combination that enabled access from clients to the server via a secondary ("hidden") network? Hubert.
0 Kudos