Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

intel i3, i5 or i7???

Mariana_C_
Beginner

hi,

I decided to buy a new PC to work with the camera and I have the choice between Intel i3 or i5 processor, both 4. generation.

Which would you recommend to use the camera?

thanks in advance!

Mariana

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

So far, I and a couple of other people I have seen have had success with the camera using an i3 CPU.  This is also the CPU used in Intel's own NUC mini-PC, which apparently has very strong compatibility with the camera.

Having said that, in theory an i5 should work as well since both CPUs are 4th Generation.  An i5 PC may be a bit faster but also more expensive. I can't speak personally for how well an i5 works since I don't have one, but I've had no problems at all with the camera with my i3.

0 Kudos
Mariana_C_
Beginner

Thank you Marty G, your answer is very helpful!

m

0 Kudos
Dirk_R_
Beginner

I've just bought an Intel NUC with an I5.
At least the price is also a question of RAM and SSD.

I've added 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.
8 RM and 256 GB SSD is also ok.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I reduced my upgrade costs by choosing a compatible motherboard that supported the DD3 memory I already had so that I didn't have to buy new memory sticks.  

A NUC is a safer option though if you are not comfortable with sticking your hands inside a machine and rearranging its guts.  :)

0 Kudos
Mariana_C_
Beginner

Thanks!

The NUC looks like a very good choice!

I never worked with one, are no problems with graphic card?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I've seen a few people on this forum who have bought a NUC and been very happy with it, and it has worked fine out of the box with the camera without having to install any extra parts.

0 Kudos