Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

mailto launchExternal

Arne_B_1
Beginner

Hi there,

I have a problem with the combination of mailto and launchExternal. I want to start it with a buttonClick, like this:

/* button  #mailto */
    $(document).on("click", "#mailto", function(evt)
    {
        intel.xdk.device.launchExternal('mailto:my@emailaddress.com?subject=email%20Me&body=test%20test%20test');
    });

It works in the emulator and with the preview App but not as installed apk on the phone.

The whitlist is also correct, I think.

What should I do?

Arne

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nicolas_r_
Beginner

cheak the whitlist  for any option like ios wind 8 andoid crosswalk and normal andoid also to get sure add the mailto:* in the external. 

0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

Can you try adding the 'mailto' link hardcoded to your index.html and see if that works?  E.g.:

<a href="mailto:foo@bar.com">Mail me</a>

Also if you can provide a sample that illustrates the problem, that would be helpful.  A screen shot of your Whitelist settings might also be helpful.

0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

One other thing, since you're using 'intel.xdk.device.launchexternal', did you make sure you included that plugin on the projects page?   It's not on by default.

Just go to the projects page, click on "Plugin Management", select "Add Plugins to this Project" then choose the intel.xdk.device plugin.  That seems to work for me (along with whitelisting).

Dale

0 Kudos
Arne_B_1
Beginner

Hi Dale,

thanks for the Help.

The Plugin-Manager is just available if the project is a cordova-project, isn't it? I created a new project (with only one button) with cordova, included the plugin and added mailto:* to the whitelist. So it works!

But my main project is actually a standart html5 project. And here works the hardcoded link.

So the problem is solved! Thanks!

One question for the end:

Should I use everytime cordova or is this a state of taste?

Arne

0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

>Should I use everytime cordova or is this a state of taste?

The primary reason to use Cordova rather than a plain web app is to access features that aren't otherwise available in a browser or webview.  Cordova plugins provide JS API's to access various native functions, including accessing API's that are only available in native code, e.g. access to hardware, Contacts, SQL db, Admob, Google Play, &c.

If you don't need any functionality that's not available in a browser (or webview), then you can get by with a "Standard HTML5" project, but if you decide to add Cordova functionality in the future, it's a bit easier to do if you've created it as a Cordova project initially.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Nabil_A_1
Beginner

Hello Mr Dale, 

I found your comment regarding those mailto problem and i already add 'mailto' link hardcoded into my index.html . Unfortunately , the email only can be open when using iphone . I cannot open it using android . Did you have any suggestion how i can solve my problem ?

Thanks and Regards, 

Nabil.  

Dale Schouten (Intel) wrote:

Can you try adding the 'mailto' link hardcoded to your index.html and see if that works?  E.g.:

<a href="mailto:foo@bar.com">Mail me</a>

Also if you can provide a sample that illustrates the problem, that would be helpful.  A screen shot of your Whitelist settings might also be helpful.

0 Kudos