Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

"Critical system error" when trying to download MKL library

Volker_Blum
Beginner
To cut a long story short:
- I have a shiny brand new MacOS license for Intel Fortran
- The latest (2011.3.167) release seems to work but has an obvious bug for our code when using -xHost on this MacBook
- I am trying to reproduce (or not) with 11.1 and the associated MKL version in order to be able to post a report.
- Yes, we use ifort 11.1 & MKL (10.1; 10.2 has bug in pdtran) routinely on HPC platforms up to 4096 cores concurrently, on Linux, so this is a working application
HOWEVER:
- ifort 11.1 for Mac does not contain MKL directly, which I need to compile
- When trying to download the corresponding MKL version from Intel's server - yes, I do believe I have a license - all I get is a notice (Intel server side) that a critical system error has been encountered.
What does this mean? Is there any alternative way to get the package? thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Volker_Blum
Beginner
I notice that Scalapack is not included in Intel MKL 10.3 for Mac OSX, at least not obviously. Is that correct?

This comes as an unwelcome surprise, given that the only mention of this fact is deep in the manual:

/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.3.167/Documentation/en_US/mkl/mkl_manual/intro/mkl_overview_ScaLAPACK.htm

For Linux (which I am used to) and apparently Windows, this is included. Well. I needed that for testing, even on a 2 core machine. That was, in fact, one of the reasons I purchased ifort+mkl in the first place, rather than compiling everything from (open) source. I needed a working scalapack build.

Well. I realize that everyone's time is finite, including that of Intel's developers (who are doing an outstanding job at this whole line of products overall, really). Still, this is an omission which hurts particularly those who are likely to buy very big Intel-based machines in their jobs.

I would appreciate very much any advice on either why blacs / scalapack are not included (known problems?), or - if any such thing exists - some kind of unofficial build. Building OpenMPI 1.4.3 worked well, but I do dread the corresponding BLACS build. I am happy to contribute any experiences back if needed.

best wishes
0 Kudos
Volker_Blum
Beginner
I have great respect for ifort as a product / development. It would have been nice to receive an answer though. Anyway, my issues are solved, in parts by Intel's servers resuming to work, in parts by some work of my own to add the missing components. Still, some more openness about the product would help. Hiding the fact that a key component is missing in the back of a manual is not ideal.
0 Kudos
Igor_V_Intel
Employee
Dear Volker,

We are really sorry that this thread was missed without answer. Actually, your questionsare not related with Download, Registration and Licensing topic - please, ask these on the corresponding compiler forum.
Regarding your original issue with "Critical system error" when trying to download MKL library. Are you still able to reproduce it?

Regards,
Igor
0 Kudos