Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17060 Discussions

"chklic.exe has stopped working" when installing Visual Fortran Composer XE (12.1)

Rodney_Lafollette

I am having a problem with Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 (12.1) Update 7, on Windows Vista 32 bit OS. I have tried multiple methods for installing the software to no avail. These include entering the serial number on the installer front panel; using a license manager; and remote activation. Always I get the same message: "chklic.exe has stopped working," while "Reading Existing Licenses" is shown in the installer window. I have also run chklic.exe from the command line and it seems to recognize the license file; however the installer still fails.
I had the compiler working until about a week ago, when I began to have troubles compiling code from within Visual Studio (2008). At length I decided to try a complete re-install. I was unsuccessful in removing Composer using the Intel installer, so I removed it from the Windows control panel. Now I am uniformly unsuccessful in getting it to install regardless of what I try.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Rodney,

Please try Update 8, which is available now, and see if the problem persists. Let me know.
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the same thing is happening.
I allowed Visual Studio to attempt to "debug" chklic.exe. The message it displayed:
"An unhandled win32 exception occurred in chklic.exe [3420]."
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok. I am going to move your thread to our Licensing forum where the chklic experts reside.
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Steve,
Thanks.
RodL
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
I remain interested in any input that you might have. I am running Windows Vista Home Edition. I have other software on the computer that uses a license manager, and I tried taking them off just so that I could install the Fortran program; however this did not lead to any different results.

More information: I am running this on a new (three months) Macintosh Powerbook with four processors, 8 GB RAM, and using Parallels 7.0 to house the Windows partition. I am also using Visual Studio 2008. I have previously had all of this working fine.
Thanks,
Rodney
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Have you tried it with a license file? If you don't have the license file you can log in to the Intel Registration Center and have it emailed to you (it might require reregistering the serial number.) If the .lic file is placed in Program Files\Common Files\Intel\Licenses, then it should recognize the current license when you install.

Thanks for lettings us know you're using a virtual machine on a Mac. While that does work for many people, sometimes there are subtle issues and it's important to know.
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
Steve,
Yes, I have tried it with the license file, in several locations, to no avail. I have also tried doing it remotely.
Thanks,
Rod LaFollette
0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee
Hi Rod,

I will take this thread private to get some more information from you.
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
I am still interested in any input you have as to how to get my software running. It is approaching ten months that I have been without its use. Also, I do not seem to be able to get into the private portion of this existing thread; perhaps an email would help me know if anything has been entered recently. Thank you, Rodney LaFollette
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Rod, Unfortunately, all of the private posts are currently missing. I will send you a message to get the information again, and we'll see what can be done. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
James, Thanks. If the private post is permanently lost, we can regenerate most of the information. Regards, Rodney
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Rodney, Did you receive the private message I sent? Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
James, I did find the message. Rod
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
Any new ideas? I have removed all applications from the hard drive that are not essential, and have (I believe) disabled all licensing services or processes using Task Manager. Still the "chklic.exe has stopped working" error.
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Rodney, Did you try installing the latest Visual Fortran compiler as I recommended via email? Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
James, I did try.
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
James, I bought the compiler a year ago, and have spent eleven months trying to get it to work. I had it installed for a couple of weeks, and then it stopped working. I removed it and tried the re-install, and that was when I sent my original request for help. Now I find that my license has expired (twelve months have elapsed). Rodney
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Rodney, What is the version number of the Intel® Fortran Compiler you tried? I'm going to see what can be done at this point. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos
Rodney_Lafollette
James, Here are the recent build installations that I have tried: w_fcompxe_2011.9.300 w_fcompxe_2011.11.344 w_fcompxe_novsshell_2011.10.325 w_fcompxe_novsshell_2011.11.344 w_fcompxe_novsshell_2011.12.369 Thanks
0 Kudos
James_T_Intel
Hi Rodney, Those are not the most recent. Please try w_fcompxe_2013.1.119. It would probably be best to try removing the existing installation first. Sincerely, James Tullos Technical Consulting Engineer Intel® Cluster Tools
0 Kudos