Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

single user license vs. concurrent license

raarce
Beginner
Hello,

I am considering buying the Intel C++ compiler for an academic linux server. If I buy a single license does this mean it will only be usable in a one fixed account? What would be the advantage of buying the two concurrent licenses ($560) vs. two single users ($160 each) in a linux server setting?

Thanks,

Rafael
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Rafael,

A single user licenseis not locked to any local host ID nor user account. That means that this license can be installed on any machine and being used by any user (but not by more users at same time).

With a concurrent license (I guess you mean floating license) you need a license manager running on a server (which could be also one of the local machines where the product is used). The advantage of a floating license is that it's very flexible andcan be used within a network and usage of the license is being controlled by the license manager. Single user licenses however, installed on different machines, can lead to license violations since there is no direct control of how muchinstances of the products are being used in parallel.

Does this answer your question? If not, feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Hubert.

0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee

Rafael,

Further to your request.My last response was focused on the technical aspects of a single user license vs. floating. In that sense, a single user license is not locked to any host id or account information, but from the license conditions perspective, only ONE individual who is the licensee can use a license on a single machine or if it's installed on different machines.2 single user licenses can only be used by 2 individuals. So in case more users shall share 2 licenses, the only choice is a 2-users floating license.

Pls. find more details on the product EULA at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-products-license-agreement/

I hope this helps.

Hubert.

0 Kudos