Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

splash screens problem

amin_a_1
Beginner
Hello, I have designed an android app with Construct2, when I want to get an apk file from my app with Intel XDK, I have two problems with Splash Screens: 1. When I import the pics in JPG format, further, I encounter whit build failed message. 2. When I import the pics in PNG format, building the app is successful but on the android device (cellphone), the Splash screen doesn’t display at all !! Please guide me, Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It is a problem with Cordova. With the CLI5 release the Cordova project modified the requirements for icons and splash screens so that they MUST be PNG, even though some platforms also support JPG. They did this because it is the lowest-common-denominator across all the platforms. So you'll see that JPG images work with the CLI 4.1.2 builds, but not with the CLI 5.1.1 builds. :(

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Did you include the splashscreen plugin when you built your app?
Did you specify all the splashscreen in the project settings in the XDK?

0 Kudos
amin_a_1
Beginner

That is "Splaash" plugin and not relevent to XDK splash screens.

I have specified all the splashscreen with different images and different formats (jpg,png) many times.

Now i am definitely sure that it is some kind of bug in the last version of Intel XDK (2611). I did't have this problem in older versions!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Amin, it sounds like you mean that these "Splaash" screens are something that is part of the Construct2 game, and not dependent on the Cordova splash screen plugin. If that is the case, you should consult the Construct2 forum. We have no knowledge of how Construct2 apps are constructed, we are only able to help you with XDK-specific issues. The app runs in a Cordova webview on each target, the XDK does not control the behavior of that webview, the platform controls that.

0 Kudos
amin_a_1
Beginner

It's not about Construct2 !!!!!   when you import a project in intel XDK , there is panel named " Launch icons and splash screens" i have problem whit this zone :

' 1. When I import the pics in JPG format, further, I encounter whit build failed message. "

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Save the image as a PNG file (dont just rename it, actually use an image editor to save it as a PNG) and pick that with the XDK.

0 Kudos
amin_a_1
Beginner

Yes, with PNG format the problem will be solved.......but why does the last version of intel xdk (2611) have this problem whit JPG?

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Its probably not the XDK, its more likely a change with Cordova.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It is a problem with Cordova. With the CLI5 release the Cordova project modified the requirements for icons and splash screens so that they MUST be PNG, even though some platforms also support JPG. They did this because it is the lowest-common-denominator across all the platforms. So you'll see that JPG images work with the CLI 4.1.2 builds, but not with the CLI 5.1.1 builds. :(

0 Kudos
amin_a_1
Beginner

I think you're right. but, in the "launch icons and splash screens" panel, you can see under each box is this phrase: (JPG/PNG) ,

which means this problem (error with JPG...)  is not a programming property , rather it is an unexpectable issue !

and as you know , the Cordova plugin is not an independent app , it's a part whitin the XDK.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We need to update the UI, the docs have been updated. Unfortunately, the Cordova project did not document this change to the CLI, so we only figured it out after some investigation of similar problems. Cordova is an independent project, it is not owned or directed by Intel or the XDK. We utilize the Cordova project and provide the XDK as a front end to the Cordova CLI.

0 Kudos
amin_a_1
Beginner

Ok, now I'm convinced that unsupporting CLI 5 by Cordova is the cause of this problem. Meybe it's better to discuss about this problem at the Cordova support forums.

Anyway, Thank you for your all helpful answers. I hope to see this problem solved in next releases.

0 Kudos