Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

throw std::exception crashes Visual Studio 2013 with Intel Parallel Studio

Inge_H_
Beginner

If you use throw std::runtime_error anywhere inside a C++ program it brutally crashes the Visual Studio 2013 IDE without warning. When I first encountered the crash I uninstalled Windows 7 (64-bit with SP1) and upgraded to Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit). Then I installed Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 (v12.0.21005 REL). I ran the program below with no problems and I thought that I had fixed the problem. However, when I installed Intel C++ Studio XE 2013 (included SP1 with update 1) the bug came back. So there seem (at least on my system, a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina i7 running Windows) to be an issue with how Visual Studio 2013 and Intel C++ Studio 2013 works together.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdexcept>
#include <iostream>

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv [])
{
    try
    {
        throw std::runtime_error("Test"); // Crashes Visual Studio here
    }
    catch (...)
    {
        std::cerr << "Error" << std::endl; // never reached
    }

return 0; // never reached
}

Steps to reproduce

Create a new Win32 console project by chosing "New Project" in the Visual Studio 2013 IDE, then under "templates" expand "Visual C++" , select "Win32", select the "Win32 Console Application" option, and click the "OK" button. Click the "Finish" button in the "Application Wizard" that immidiately pops up. Now you have a new Win32 project. Now, open the cpp file containing your "_tmain()" function, and add a reference to the include file <stdexcept>, ie: 

#include <stdexcept>

, then add one line of code inside your "_tmain()" : 

function throw std::runtime_error("Crashtest");

Now the code should look something like this:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdexcept>

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
    throw std::runtime_error("Crashtest");
    return 0;
}

Now run it (press F5) and Visual Studio IDE crashes without warning; it does not matter if you try to run it in debug or release mode.

Product Language

English

Tested operating systems

Windows 7 (64-bit with SP1) and Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit)

Operating System Language

Norwegian

Actual results

Crashes the Visual Studio 2013 IDE.

Logs

From the Windows event logs I can find the following after trying to run the aforementioned code (translated from Norwegian OS):

-----------------------------------------------
Error-bucket , type 0
Event name: APPCRASH
Answer: Not available
Cab-ID: 0

Problem signature:
P1: devenv.exe
P2: 12.0.21005.1
P3: 524fcb34
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.18247
P6: 521ea8e7
P7: c00000fd
P8: 000325c1
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCED4.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD04B.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD0D8.tmp.hdmp
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER146E.tmp.mdmp

Files are available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_devenv.exe_bc27cec32734aacea6fdf84903abf1cd7cfcb_cab_18d119e7

Analysis symbol: 
Looking for solution once more: 0
Repport-ID: 031b58cb-427b-11e3-97e4-a820661c62c8
Repportstatus: 5
-----------------------------------------------
Software with error: devenv.exe, versjon: 12.0.21005.1, time: 0x524fcb34 Module with error: ntdll.dll, versjon: 6.1.7601.18247, time: 0x521ea8e7 Exception code: 0xc00000fd Fault displacement: 0x000325c1 Error prosess-ID: 0x1920 Error starttime for software: 0x01ced687ba938040 Error software path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe Error module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Error-ID: 031b58cb-427b-11e3-97e4-a820661c62c8

Expected results

It should not crash the Visual Studio 2013 IDE.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It seems that this code  c00000fd stands for stack overflow.Can you dump context state.I would like to see the faulting IP if it belongs to devenv process.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

Here you go, report file is attached.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Thanks I will look at this.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

A week since I posted this now. Why are no one from Intel giving me any feedback? Are there some other places I should post bug reports in Intel products? At least one more has reported the same bug http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19735162/throwing-stdexception-crashes-visual-studio-2013-ide#comment29400955_19756459 .

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It is still unknown if the crash is even coincidentally related to Parallel Studio.It could be also MS problem and it seems so by looking at dump file.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

The crash only occurres after I install Intel C++ Studio XE 2013 (included SP1 with update 1) and not before. I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013 to confirm this. I don't know what else it could be. If you still think that Microsoft is to blame then you can add a comment to the bug report I filed to them here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/807509/throw-std-runtime-error-crashes-visual-studio-2013-ide

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

As matter of fact the crash originates probably inside CPUsideRDM.dll .Unfortunately that DLL is not present on my system therefore I cannot use dumpbin to inspect its Import/Export tables and thus trying to understand what that DLL does.Can you check on your system if you have CPUsideRDM.dll ?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I will upload a recurrence calls stack dump on MS forum.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

@iliyapolak The CPUsideRDM.dll library file resides in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger directory on my system. Even though it is inside a Microsoft Visual Studio directory it still is a Intel library, further investigation reveals that the CPUsideRDM.dll library file product name is "Intel(R) Debugger Extension for Intel(R)...", I have version 1.0.8.0.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Can you run dumpbin on that dll?

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

Dumpbin output of  CPUsideRDM.dll  attached. Dissembly ommitted in accordance with license agreement.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Can you send me that file via private messaging.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

Sorry, that would be violating the license agreement. Could you not install Intel C++ Studio XE 2013 (included SP1 with update 1)  to get it?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I still did not receive my Parallel Studio XE 2013 edition.Anyway for now dump file is sufficient to perform crash analysis.It seems that error originated inside the CPUsideRDM.dll.Now Intel developers should perform more in-depth analysis of their code.

0 Kudos
Inge_H_
Beginner

Ok, thanks for the help. Any word from Intel yet?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You are welcome.

Hopefully Intel devs will look at this annoying issue.

0 Kudos
Poeter__Manuel
Beginner

I have posted some information about this issue in this thread http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/488411#comment-1771183

0 Kudos
Nathan_K_
Beginner

Inge H., the workaround from Steve Lionel in topic http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/494680 worked for me. Steve also mentions that the issue will be resolved by an update to be released in Jan. 2014. Thank your for posting a way to easily reproduce the problem.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Root cause of the stack overflow was MIC debugging integration.

0 Kudos