Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

tmp directory error when creating new project

Sey_T_
Beginner

Hi,

I just installed Intel SDK but I can't create a new project due to this error:

Error creating project: Error creating tmp directory: ENOENT, mkdir 'C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Intel\XDK\xdk\Windows\temp\tmp-4348992moxc'

When I create above folders, this time it gives another error that the files cannot be copied from temp directory to project directory.

Can someone tell me how to repair this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Unfortunately, according your %temp% variable the temp directory is located in the Windows directory, which is and should be read-only. I have a hunch that bad %temp% definition is the problem. Most apps use those environment variables to find those directories, that's so they can be relocated in case your system requires. Thus, the "default" location is not guaranteed, and if the TEMP and TMP (TEMP is the more commonly used one) is not set correctly, it can cause issues.

There are two sets of environment variables on your system: the SYSTEM environment variables and the LOCAL environment variables. I'm guessing that your local TEMP var is missing and that your system TEMP var is mucked up ("Windows/temp" is badly formed). Or it could just be that your local TEMP is badly formed. In any event, you need to correct the problem and reboot your computer.

In the Windows 10 "search" bar, type "environment" (without the quotes) and select "Edit the system environment variables" from the list that appears. If my list (shown below) does not appear, try searching for "system environment" or "edit the system environment."

search-env-vars.png

Then, in the "System Properties" dialog that appears, push the "Environment Variables..." button:

sys-env-edit.png

Then, fix whatever is wrong so it looks like what you see below. You'll have to select a specific variable, click "Edit..." and make the appropriate changes. What I'm showing below came directly from a fairly fresh Windows 10 install and is also what you will find on a Windows 8 and Windows 7 machine.

temp-env-vars.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

What version of Windows are you using? I recommend that you uninstall your Intel XDK program and reboot your machine then install Intel XDK. 

0 Kudos
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

There is a bug when you try to create the project for the first time after upgrading to new version of XDK, due to some initialization issue the directory does not get created. We are already looking into this bug. For now, please close the XDK and restart, it should work for you. 

0 Kudos
DAVID_M_Intel2
Employee

Unfortunately that error message is of the "trouble at mill" variety. It doesn't give a lot of useful information. Such as what was trying to write there and why did it pick that path. And as I have not been able to reproduce the problem, I can't hit it with the debugger and extract more info.

Have you been able to get past the problem? I just installed 2611 and I was able to create a new project, plus I do not have a windows dir in ...Intel/XDK/xdk. I expect you didn't either and that is why the mkdir failed (are you able to confirm that, btw)

My current suspicion is that something is clobbering some environment variable during the install. If you can still reproduce this, can you check the values of your TMP and TEMP environment variables (and possibly TMPDIR but I don't think that one is used on Windows)

I don't fully understand you secondary problem that you could not copy files. Were the files present? Were you able to read them (perhaps with the inbuilt CMD line "type" command or else with notepad). Could you drop other files into the destination directory?

BTW, what version of Windows are you using? I don't have any suspect issues that are specific to any given version of Windows at the moment, but it is possible this piece of information may become useful at some point.

0 Kudos
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

Generally restarting the XDK helps with this error.

0 Kudos
Sey_T_
Beginner

please take a look at this link. the description of the problem is same but the solution does not apply in this case.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/313512

0 Kudos
Sey_T_
Beginner

i use windows 10 home version. unfortunately the problem never goes away. windows 10 somehow locks the temp files. Also, I guess for some security reason, windows 10 marks all folders as "read only". moreover, it does not let an application to create new folders. i m just guessing this. so i work around that by manually creating all folders as intel xdk require in this order: (C:\ProgramData\Intel\xdk\Windows\temp) and then copy the projects content (in the "www" folder) to here: C:\Users\x\Documents\myproject. i think the best option is to get rid of windows 10 and go back to 8.1.

The attached image shows the alert after i manually create the folders. the first alert tells me that it can not find Windows\temp directory.

If anyone has a solution please write.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Sey -- are you changing the default install location for the XDK? The default install location should be "%LocalAppData%\XDK" not "C:\ProgramData\Intel\xdk" as you show in your post. Likewise, your user profile's temp location should be something like "%LocalAppData%\Temp" -- those directories should not have any permissions problems (the ones inside %LocalAppData%) because they belong to you.

0 Kudos
Sey_T_
Beginner

hi Paul. Thanks for the reply.  I just re-installed intel xdk from scratch but unfortunately it gives me the same errors. if you look my first image in this page, you'll see that the installed directory is the same path you mention. nevertheless, after re-installing, I had to manually create this path again (as intel xdk forces me):  ​C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Intel\XDK\xdk\Windows\temp but then it gives the second part of the error again saying this:

Error creating project: Error copying tmp directory contents to project: name must either start with slash or use base option..

so basically, this did not help. I am almost convinced the problem stems from XDK's incompatibility with windows 10. first of all, all my folders in "C" drive are "read only". I tried to remove "read only" attribute from the entire "C" drive but, after it finishes the process, suddenly, it's back to "read only".

is there a way to avoid project content to be created automatically in temp folder? I mean why does xdk first create the project's files and folders here: "C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Intel\XDK\xdk\Windows\temp" ?

thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

We have the XDK running on many Windows 10 machines, yours is the only instance I've heard of with this symptom.

Your user directory (and sub-directories) should not be marked as read-only. Where does your user directory actually reside? Please do the following and report the COMPLETE results here:

cd %homepath%
cd
set temp
set tmp
attrib %temp%\*.*

Here's an example of the output from a machine of mine:

C:\Users\paul>cd %homepath%

C:\Users\paul>cd
C:\Users\paul

C:\Users\paul>set temp
TEMP=C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2

C:\Users\paul>set tmp
TMP=C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2

C:\Users\paul>attrib %temp%\*.*
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\ACC 2015-12-26 17-46-02.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\ACC.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\adobegc.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\AdobeIPCBroker.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\B45F.tmp
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\chrome_installer.log
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_ce15crdqF45NVpU
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_FrLCQP8MvskxaVP
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_Kf0ynJMPXKw6bO1
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_KufXIPb6E1AY6yd
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_OFiqtYZNITL6RvT
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_PGVXTdbd8T95alI
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_UhuqowATRabtSyV
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_VWCIAkwTrtLcxfW
A   H   I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\etilqs_Z23Y8RNQqT92spT
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\NELog.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\oobelib.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\PDApp 2016-1-3 10-43-31.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\PDApp.log
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\qtlocalpeer-Amazon-4678-2-lockfile
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\qtlocalpeer-Amazon-bdab-2-lockfile
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tmp17752aaaaaa
A       I    C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tmp5B20.tmp
A            C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\wct122E.tmp
A            C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\wct1883.tmp
A            C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\wct22FE.tmp
A            C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\2\wct30C9.tmp

0 Kudos
Sey_T_
Beginner

hi paul, here are the result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\x>cd %homepath%

C:\Users\x>cd
C:\Users\x

C:\Users\x>set temp
TEMP=Windows/temp

C:\Users\x>set tmp
TMP=C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Users\x>attrib %temp%\*.*
Path not found - C:\Users\x\Windows\temp

however, the "temp" folder exists here:
C:\Users\x\AppData\Local

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Unfortunately, according your %temp% variable the temp directory is located in the Windows directory, which is and should be read-only. I have a hunch that bad %temp% definition is the problem. Most apps use those environment variables to find those directories, that's so they can be relocated in case your system requires. Thus, the "default" location is not guaranteed, and if the TEMP and TMP (TEMP is the more commonly used one) is not set correctly, it can cause issues.

There are two sets of environment variables on your system: the SYSTEM environment variables and the LOCAL environment variables. I'm guessing that your local TEMP var is missing and that your system TEMP var is mucked up ("Windows/temp" is badly formed). Or it could just be that your local TEMP is badly formed. In any event, you need to correct the problem and reboot your computer.

In the Windows 10 "search" bar, type "environment" (without the quotes) and select "Edit the system environment variables" from the list that appears. If my list (shown below) does not appear, try searching for "system environment" or "edit the system environment."

search-env-vars.png

Then, in the "System Properties" dialog that appears, push the "Environment Variables..." button:

sys-env-edit.png

Then, fix whatever is wrong so it looks like what you see below. You'll have to select a specific variable, click "Edit..." and make the appropriate changes. What I'm showing below came directly from a fairly fresh Windows 10 install and is also what you will find on a Windows 8 and Windows 7 machine.

temp-env-vars.png

0 Kudos
Sey_T_
Beginner

wow!! tons of thanks!!! it worked finally!!! you r my hero paul! :)

0 Kudos
Sudheshna_K_
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same issue, initially it was working fine then on creating new projects it showing the error "Error creating project: Error copying tmp directory contents to project: Could not copy directory: C:/Users/Dotnet/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp-4452Y9nc279hHAUc/unzip/templates" as mentioned in this thread I have checked the temp folder location and following is the result. It will be very helpful if someone has any solution for this.

Thanks & Regards

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sudheshna -- several others have reported similar behavior, but I do not recall what their solutions were. I recommend you exit the XDK and then clear the XDK temporary folders and try again. Instructions here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#recover-xdk < on how to "clear Intel XDK's program and cache directories and files" on your system.

0 Kudos
Sudheshna_K_
Beginner

Hi Paul,

It worked fine. Previously even reinstalling the instance didn't work thank you very much

Regards,

Sudheshna

0 Kudos