Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

xdk is not replacing landscape splashscreen's for iOS during build

Daniel_W_5
Beginner

EDIT: From experimenting all day and opening up the .ipa to look at the files, looks like XDK is failing to write my landscape images to the ios app. Still has some of the default images: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3rs9jyjjg296xo/Screenshot%202015-09-21%2019.30.21.jpg?dl=0

I can't imagine its my code, especially because I started a totally fresh project, added splash images, built it and still saw the default cordova screen come up on my iPad. And at the same time, XDK hasnt updated since Aug 18th. So is there another option? Maybe the update this weekend that discontinued cordova cli 3.3 and 3.5 or whatever? Amazon going down? Could it be the build server itself? Thanks...

Hey there,

The XDK used to build iOS versions with custom splash screens, and I was able to run them on my devices and see it work correctly. Suddenly, XDK will not set landscape splash screens. The cordova splash pops up on my iPad, but the custom splash comes up on my iPhone. I have added images in the projects screen for every size and XDK makes my intelxdk.config.ios.xml look like this:

<content src="index.html"/>
<access origin="*"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/st_iconipadmini.png" width="76" height="76"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/st_iconipad.png" width="152" height="152"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/st_iconiphone.png" width="60" height="60"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_iphoneretina.png" width="120" height="120"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/st_iconiphone6plus.png" width="180" height="180"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_1334.png" width="750" height="1334" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_2208.png" width="1242" height="2208" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_1136.png" width="640" height="1136" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_960.png" width="640" height="960" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_48-.png" width="320" height="480" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_2008.png" width="1536" height="2008" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_1004.png" width="768" height="1004" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_iphone6plus.png" width="1334" height="750" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_iphone6plus2.png" width="2208" height="1242" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/st_splashscreen_ipadretina.png" width="2048" height="1496" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/TLH_splashscreen_iPad.png" width="1024" height="748" orientation="landscape"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Device" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.device" intelxdk:version="0.2.13"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Cache" intelxdk:value="intel.xdk.cache"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="In App Browser" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.inappbrowser" intelxdk:version="0.5.4"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="File" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.file" intelxdk:version="1.3.2"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="File Transfer" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.file-transfer" intelxdk:version="0.4.8"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Device" intelxdk:value="intel.xdk.device"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="SplashScreen" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" intelxdk:version="0.3.5"/>
<preference name="ios-target" value="6"/>
<preference name="ios-configuration" value="adhoc"/>
<preference name="Orientation" value="landscape"/>
<intelxdk:provisioning intelxdk:src="TLH_Dist_wLinda.mobileprovision" intelxdk:type="adhoc"/>
<!--creationInfo:{"src":"https://appcenter.html5tools-software.intel.com/api/v2.0/redirect/projectrenderers/release-2015-ww32/jsapp/templates-blank-cordova-project/sample.zip","projectTypeName":"com.intel.xdk.projecttype.jsapp"}-->
<preference name="debuggable" value="true"/>
<preference name="BackgroundColor" value="0xffefefef"/>
<preference name="iosPersistentFileLocation" value="Library"/>
<preference name="Fullscreen" value="true"/>
<preference name="DisallowOverscroll" value="true"/>
<preference name="AllowInlineMediaPlayback" value="true"/></widget>

Why won't they show up?

Also its interesting to note that the XDK is not displaying it is adding or it has a lack of splash screens in the build log... why did it just stop packaging my splashes?

Let me know if you want any more info, but ive been through the build process hundreds of times and the files, especially the xmls, look EXACTLY the same as when the custom splashscreen was working.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Leo_C_
Beginner

I have the same issue, and as far as I know, XDK does not support all iOS splash screen resolutions. 

Splash images that will be converted by XDK, and you can add those using XDK:

Default-568h@2x~iphone.png

Default-667h.png

Default-736h.png

Default-Landscape-736h.png

Default@2x~iphone.png

Default~iphone.png

Splash images that you cannot add using XDK (or I don't know where):

Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png 

Default-Landscape~ipad.png

Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png

Default-Portrait~ipad.png

If you unzipped your .ipa file and you can see those splash images are still using the default ones from XDK. 

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

Well, i do have a version of my app i built last week that correctly shows the Default-Landscape~ipad.png on my iPad mini. It seems either something I did in my code or something about the program (or build server, seems most likely) changed between now and then. Heres a screenshot of the .app opened up from last week that correctly shows the splash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74r971aglup4uh4/Screenshot%202015-09-21%2019.55.29.jpg?dl=0

I originally only added landscape splash images thinking my app would only be in a landscape orientation, but realized that either way the iPhone opens the app up in portrait so i needed to add the splash images rotated 90 degrees for the iPhone weirdness. Then I made 9.patch images for android and when i went to build a new version this morning, this is what started happening. 

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

My situation is the same, and my current solution is to build the app from AppCenter:

https://appcenter.html5tools-software.intel.com/csd/ControlPanel.aspx

It has other issues, like you cannot specify the build number, but at least the splash issue can be addressed. 

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

oh wow, didnt even know about this control center. thank you!

how did you address the splash issue with the control center? ill probably figure it out in the next couple minutes but wanted to get any advice you have for it

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

Basically the configuration you have in XDK, you will need to provide them again in control center. 

Control center has more options for splash screen. 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

kinda looks like you cant build with cordova from the control center though... states: 

NOTICE:

These Legacy builds have been deprecated, so please migrate your apps to Cordova based builds. We will not remove any Legacy build platforms before the equivalent Cordova builds are all available.

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

You can still build it, but Intel will remove it soon. 

Hopefully they can fix this issue in XDK soon

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

Ok, just realized that App Center is the same as the "Legacy hybrid Mobile App Platforms" in XDK

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

ok. I think I might have a solution for this issue using XDK. 

Basically, you can manually add those splash images in intelxdk.config.additions.xml. 

I just match the names and dimensions and they will be replaced in final build using XDK

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

would you mind pasting your additions.xml in here for me? I tried something like this earlier but ill give it another shot

EDIT: oh i see the screenshot now, thank you

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

ok while its building, two follow up questions...

1. did you define splash screens in XDK along with the explicit preferences in the xml?

2. did you see build logs at the end of the process that reflected adding or forgetting splash screens? (this stopped happening for me which is suspect)

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

also here is what XDK builds my xml as:

<content src="index.html"/>
<access origin="*"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/ios_icons/st_iconiphone6plus.png" width="180" height="180"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/ios_icons/st_iconiphone.png" width="60" height="60"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/ios_icons/st_iconipad.png" width="152" height="152"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/ios_icons/st_iconipadmini.png" width="76" height="76"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="img/ios_icons/st_icon.png" width="120" height="120"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png" width="2048" height="1496" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Landscape~ipad.png" width="1024" height="748" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-568h@2x~iphone.png" width="640" height="1136" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png" width="1536" height="2008" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Portrait~ipad.png" width="768" height="1004" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default@2x~iphone.png" width="640" height="960" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default~iphone.png" width="320" height="480" orientation="portrait"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Device" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.device" intelxdk:version="0.2.13"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Cache" intelxdk:value="intel.xdk.cache"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="In App Browser" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.inappbrowser" intelxdk:version="0.5.4"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="File" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.file" intelxdk:version="1.3.2"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="File Transfer" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.file-transfer" intelxdk:version="0.4.8"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="Device" intelxdk:value="intel.xdk.device"/>
<intelxdk:plugin intelxdk:name="SplashScreen" intelxdk:value="org.apache.cordova.splashscreen" intelxdk:version="0.3.5"/>
<preference name="ios-target" value="6"/>
<preference name="ios-configuration" value="adhoc"/>
<intelxdk:provisioning intelxdk:src="TLH_Dist_wLinda.mobileprovision" intelxdk:type="adhoc"/>
<!--creationInfo:{"src":"https://appcenter.html5tools-software.intel.com/api/v2.0/redirect/projectrenderers/release-2015-ww32/jsapp/templates-blank-cordova-project/sample.zip","projectTypeName":"com.intel.xdk.projecttype.jsapp"}-->
<preference name="debuggable" value="false"/>
<preference name="BackgroundColor" value="0xffefefef"/>
<preference name="iosPersistentFileLocation" value="Library"/>
<preference name="Fullscreen" value="true"/>
<preference name="DisallowOverscroll" value="true"/>
<preference name="AllowInlineMediaPlayback" value="true"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png" width="2048" height="1496" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Landscape@~ipad.png" width="1024" height="748" orientation="landscape"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-568h@2x~ipone.png" width="640" height="1136" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png" width="1536" height="2008" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default-Portrait@~ipad.png" width="768" height="1004" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default@2x~iphone.png" width="640" height="960" orientation="portrait"/>
<splash platform="ios" src="img/ios_splash/Default~iphone.png" width="320" height="480" orientation="portrait"/>

0 Kudos
Osahon_O_
Beginner

I'm having the same problem too. But I'm building for Cordova Android.

My project and splash screen have been building fine, till yesterday.

Also noticed the build logs no longer indicate the injection of the splash screen images

0 Kudos
Andrea_C_
New Contributor I

I have the same problems too.

0 Kudos
Leo_C_
Beginner

Daniel W. wrote:

ok while its building, two follow up questions...

1. did you define splash screens in XDK along with the explicit preferences in the xml?

2. did you see build logs at the end of the process that reflected adding or forgetting splash screens? (this stopped happening for me which is suspect)

1. Yes, I defined all splash screens under xdk's Launch Icons and Splash Screens section. I only added those missing splash images in additional xml file

2. I didn't check the build log, but I downloaded the build and validated directly inside the .ipa

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Can someone answer the following?

1. Are you specifying all the splash screens in the XDK project settings?

2. Landscape only, portrait or both?

3. What device/iOS are you seeing issues with? All devices, or only one?

0 Kudos
Andrea_C_
New Contributor I

In my case:

1) All the splashscreens are defined in the project settings

2) The problems happens both in portrait and landscape mode.

3) We tested this on an Ipad with IOS9.

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

We made some changes to the way we handle splash screen in an effort to make them more inline with the way Cordova handles them and it appears we missed a change. :(

Until we get this fixed, you can add the NEW SIZES that are displayed on the ipads via the additions file with these lines:

<splash platform="ios" src="images/768x1024.png" width="768" height="1024" />
<splash platform="ios" src="images/1536x2048.png" width="1536" height="2048" />

Then reupload/build/install.

If this does not work for you, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Theo_v_
Beginner

I  think I got the same problem; No splash screen on Ipad2.

Provided lines by john work for portrait mode, 
please provide lines for Ipad landscape mode as well

0 Kudos
Daniel_W_5
Beginner

1. Are you specifying all the splash screens in the XDK project settings?

2. Landscape only, portrait or both?

3. What device/iOS are you seeing issues with? All devices, or only one?

1. Yes

2. Both

3. Mostly just iPad, I get weird results every time though. Sometimes a couple iPhone portrait splashs get converted.

Those lines that you posted I has previously entered into the additions file, and although it did not work, I copied my ios.xml into my post a couple replies ago. I had included the orientation attribute though, so I'll try again with the lines you provided.

Any ETA on when this will be fixed? I was supposed to deliver release candidates yesterday : [  If you want any more information let me know.

0 Kudos