Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Couldn't format VROC RAID drive with mode different than RAID0

TrungKien_D_Intel

Hi,

I'm using Clear Linux on a system with VROC premium key and 4 NVME SSDs. All the RAID modes could be configured in the BIOS and the OS could see them correctly. We could use "mdadm" to check the details as well. However, we could only format the RAID partition at mode 0 (RAID0). Formatting failed on other modes (RAID1, RAID5 and RAID10), regardless of the NVME drive combination. It could only format RAID0 (2 drives, 3 drives or 4 drives). Could anyone help?

Now, I know that there are binary packages for distributions such as CentOS, and the Clear Linux doesn't have them. So that "mdadm" could only be used to monitor, check or remove the RAID setup, but not creating new ones - we relied on BIOS settings to do that now. Do we need special software in Linux to configure and format the VROC RAIDs?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TrungKien_D_Intel

Nevermind. I figured out that ClearLinux worked well out of the box with the mdadm command. It doesn't require additional binary packages like other distributions. However, it is different than the VROC getting started document that it will not work with option "-e imsm", thus creating a RAID device should be:

$ sudo mdadm -C /dev/md/imsm0 /dev/nvme[0-3]n1 -n 4 -l 10

Just the FYI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TrungKien_D_Intel

Nevermind. I figured out that ClearLinux worked well out of the box with the mdadm command. It doesn't require additional binary packages like other distributions. However, it is different than the VROC getting started document that it will not work with option "-e imsm", thus creating a RAID device should be:

$ sudo mdadm -C /dev/md/imsm0 /dev/nvme[0-3]n1 -n 4 -l 10

Just the FYI.

0 Kudos