Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Does VROC write to Windows Event Log? If so, what channel?

AAhusk
Beginner

In some of the VROC guides and documentation I have seen some vague mentions of VROC writing to an event log. But from what I've seen, the guides lack an explanation of the event log. The events that can be written to the log are listed and described, but the log itself and the process of logging is not explained.

Now, all I could find on the event log is a document mentioning that VROC will log events to an event log stored in RAID metadata.

So I was wondering, how do I access this event log on a Windows system? Specifically, is this event log stored within the Windows event logs, and hence can be viewed in the Event Viewer Windows app? If so, what channel within the Windows Event Log is it written to? The channel is needed in order to access the log programmatically using the Windows API. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AAhusk.

I'm updating the thread with the information provided.

Regarding Windows, there are logs that are placed in the Event Logs. They are found under Windows Logs -> Applications -> 'VROC-UI' and/or the driver name, such as IASTORe for SATA, 'iavmd' for VMD, or other.

For Linux, the events are registered in "/var/log/messages", it is important to refer to the Intel VROC Linux user guide section 6 (page 20) "RAID reporting and monitoring" for more details:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Linux_VROC_6-0_User_Guide.pdf

As mentioned via e-mail, the thread will be closed right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread or contact us back via any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AAhusk.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your question regarding VROC and the Windows Event Log, I will be glad to assist you.

Please let me know the following:

1. Is it possible for you to provide us the document(s) (or the link) you mentioned about this?
  2. Are you working with a particular VROC version?
  3. Can you provide us more information about the system and configuration you are working with? (server board model, BIOS version, VROC version and other).

I hope to hear from you soon, I will follow up on September 13th, but you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
AAhusk
Beginner

Hi Bruce, 

Thank you for following up. 

1) The main document I read through has a note about being confidential(I work for a partner with you guys, hence we were given access) but I assume I shouldn't post the document here. Let me know if you still want the name of the document. I also looked at the Intel VROC for Windows Guide for VROC 7.6, and didn't see any mention of the event log in there.

2) I'm not working with a particular VROC version as of now. Does that make a difference? The newest versions will be the ones that I'm most interested in.

3) I am working on something for a system that has not been released yet, so if you would like more details perhaps we use email.

Best,

Aaron

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AAhusk.

This post is to follow up on you community thread to check if you had any questions about my previous message.

I will follow up again on September 16th, but we can schedule a different date if required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AAhusk.

Thank you for the details.

I will contact you via e-mail just to make sure, and I will update the community later if the information can become publicly available.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, AAhusk.

I'm updating the thread with the information provided.

Regarding Windows, there are logs that are placed in the Event Logs. They are found under Windows Logs -> Applications -> 'VROC-UI' and/or the driver name, such as IASTORe for SATA, 'iavmd' for VMD, or other.

For Linux, the events are registered in "/var/log/messages", it is important to refer to the Intel VROC Linux user guide section 6 (page 20) "RAID reporting and monitoring" for more details:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Linux_VROC_6-0_User_Guide.pdf

As mentioned via e-mail, the thread will be closed right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread or contact us back via any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos