Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

How to reinstall Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller and / or resume normal booting?

jim1001
Beginner

I'm trying to upgrade a Dell T7600 workstation from Windows 7 to 10 using the Windows 10 setup program I downloaded to the workstation.

Install first failed saying this needed attention:

Intel C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID Controller

I don’t use RAID so I uninstalled the driver. On reboot the system re-installed the driver. So I uninstalled the driver and chose to remove the software from my computer (looks like that was a big mistake). Now system won’t boot normally but I can start using Last known good configuration.

I've tried the Windows 10 upgrade a number of times since with different outcomes (all failing) and have tried to install /update drivers using Dell Support Assistant and downloaded from reputable sources on the web including Intel. The system will still only start with Last known good configuration.

The last time I tried the upgrade I got message that SAS Controller (Intel Corporation) device isn't compatible with Windows 10.

According to Dell the T7600 should be compatible with Windows 10 Build 1511. Not sure if it’s compatible with the latest build.

I ran the DELL ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment which said "No Hard Drive detected or disk controller not supported".

Windows System repair reported "Boot critical file f:\windows\system32\drivers\iastorf.sys is corrupt"

So system doesn't appear to be booting from C: drive. 

I tried to install the Intel driver management tool but that needs a re-boot to complete installation which I can't do - I can only boot to last known good configuration which discards the installation.

Grateful for any advice on how I can get out of this and  upgrade from here. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 1511 is more than FOUR years old. If anything, use version 1903 or 1909.

Update the dell bios.

In the bios, set the SATA mode to AHCI.

Then, try doing a clean install of 1903.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 1511 is more than FOUR years old. If anything, use version 1903 or 1909.

Update the dell bios.

In the bios, set the SATA mode to AHCI.

Then, try doing a clean install of 1903.

Doc

0 Kudos
jim1001
Beginner

Doc,

Many thanks for the reply. Here are my current BIOS settings - please advise.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, I do not open attachments on other sites. You can do an attachment on this site, using the paperclip.

What you need to do is to make sure you have the latest bios, from dell, and to set your SATA mode.

Then, install 1909 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
jim1001
Beginner

Doc,

Glad of your help. I have the latest BIOS. I have been trying 1909. I need a bit more detail about setting SATA mode for my BIOS - please see the attached & advise.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
jim1001
Beginner

Doc,

To summarize the BIOS screenshots:

• AHCI is already set On but only operates SATA0 (DVD RW drive) and SATA1 (no drive)
  • SATA/RAID controller is set to Enabled & operates HDD0-HDD3, SAS0-SAS1. There is only the option to enable or disable it.

So how do I set the SATA mode to AHCI?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You need to consult with Dell regarding their bios.

Doc

0 Kudos