Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
319 Discussions

Intel VROC on HP Proliant Can't Input License Key

WVC
Beginner

Before anyone says, "Go talk to HP", I have an open case with them as well. I've been elevated at least four times, and they are still as confused as I am.

All of the configuration within the BIOS is correct. We've gone over it at least 2-3 dozen times. Where I should see the Intel SED Manager option, the menu item simply does not exist.

I was able to create a RAID 1 array and load the OS. However, the VROC breaks the 7 SSD drives into 2 separate virtual controllers, 4 in one & 3 in the other. When I attempt to create the RAID 5 array, using drives from both controllers, it will not allow me to select the two drives from the 1st controller and add them to the array.

So I installed the latest Intel RAID software. I end up with the same situation. There should be a check box that allows me to span across the 2 controllers, but like the BIOS situation, it simply isn't there.

For the record, this is an HP Proliant ML110 Gen11 system. If anyone has run into this, please let me know. Me and other higher-tier techs at my company are scratching our heads. HP can't seem to figure it out.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nathan,

Greetings for the day!

Expressing gratitude for your response on the community page. Since your inquiry has been resolved, may we proceed with closing this case?

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nathan,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for reaching intel server support. We kindly request you to share the below details to understand better and assist further on your query.

1. Kindly confirm the VROC key details used in server. Whether it’s a Standard or a Premium key.

2. Kindly confirm the Drives details used in the server. (Model, Brand).

3. Kindly share the snap of the BIOS page where you are not able to select the drives.

0 Kudos
WVC
Beginner

1. Kindly confirm the VROC key details used in server. Whether it’s a Standard or a Premium key.

The key purchased is a Premium key. It's my understanding that I should have a BIOS option for "Intel VROC SED Manager" where I can activate the key. There is no such option, either in the BIOS or in the installed Intel VROC RAID software:

WVC_0-1697546731825.png

2. Kindly confirm the Drives details used in the server. (Model, Brand).

The drives are all seen by the virtual controllers - I was told that I needed the key in order to span between the two in order to create the RAID 5 array with the five installed drives:

WVC_1-1697546841897.png

WVC_2-1697546860872.png

3. Kindly share the snap of the BIOS page where you are not able to select the drives.

I'm uploading snapshots of all current BIOS pages that appear relevant. If I need to add snaps of the Intel software on Windows 2022 server, let me know.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nathan,

Greetings for the day!

We appreciate your patience throughout the case. Based on our understanding, it appears that you are in the process of setting up a SATA RAID volume. There seems to be some confusion regarding the VROC features in NVMe vs SATA. The information provided below should clarify this for you.

•  Intel VROC includes two functional sub-products: Intel VROC (VMD NVMe RAID) and Intel VROC (SATA RAID). The first one is intended for platforms that support the Intel VMD technology and it's for NVMe drives. The second one is for SATA drives connected to the PCH.
  • The VROC license key is only needed to enable the features of the Intel VROC (VMD NVMe RAID). For Intel VROC (SATA RAID), no licensing is needed, hence no need for a key.
  • The Intel VROC SED functionality is only available for NVMe SSDs that support Opal. That means, it's only available for Intel VROC (VMD NVMe RAID), not for Intel VROC (SATA RAID). If no NVMe drives are present, then the Intel VROC SED Manager option will not be visible in BIOS. Also, the OEM must enable the Intel VROC SED Manager option in BIOS, otherwise it will not be present even if there are NVMe drives connected.
  • The option to "span across controllers" is only available for NVMe SSDs connected to multiple VMD controllers, not for SATA drives (because they don't use the VMD controllers). The maximum number of SATA drives that can be used in a RAID volume will be equal to the number of ports on the SATA controller on the platform.

0 Kudos
WVC
Beginner

Thank you. That at least clears up why it wasn't working as expected.

I'm still confused as to why would someone would sell a server to us without clarifying the specs and requirements. At least I know what to watch for in the future.

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify.

0 Kudos
GOPGuy
Beginner

Hi-

I have a setup very similar 7 total drives. HP ProLiant ML110 Gen11. I would like to use the VROC Raid.  5 drives on Raid5 and 2 drives on Raid 1.  Unfortunately It will not see all drives to configure the 5 drives.  It splits them where it does not allow 5 drives.  

Can you please explain what you mean by the following:

"The maximum number of SATA drives that can be used in a RAID volume will be equal to the number of ports on the SATA controller on the platform."  

I guess I don't understand what is meant by platform.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
WVC
Beginner

After a lot of back-and-forth with HP, the reality is that the VROC (at least the one I was working with) is divided up into two seperate controllers, and spanning between them was not possible with the one I had. Ergo, 5 drives on RAID 5 or 6 was not possible, no matter what license we bought.

Our end solution was to purchasee 4x2TB drives instead of 5x1TB, and set up on RAID 5 with hot spare. Not ideal, wasn't happy about it, and it wasn't what we were told upon purchase that we'd have to do. 

Personally, I'd avoid the VROC and get a non-integrated hardware controller that gives you the control you want in your RAID config. But that's just me.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Nathan,

Greetings for the day!

Expressing gratitude for your response on the community page. Since your inquiry has been resolved, may we proceed with closing this case?

0 Kudos