Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Moving RAID1 pairs to another model of motherboard

OvalPiston1
Beginner

I have three RAID1 configurations on an ASRock E3C222D4U motherboard running Intel RST Enterprise 4.3.0.1542.

I'm replacing it with a different motherboard, an ASRock E3C246D4U. Not 100% sure, but most likely also has Intel RST Enterprise chipset.

My question is, can I just setup the BIOS to RAID, then move the C: pair of drives to SATA 0/1, then the pair of drives to SATA 2/3, and the E: pair of drives to SATA 4/5?

Am I correct to assume the RAID config is stored on the drives themselves?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In theory, yes, you should be able to move the drives over and have it work (yes, the information is stored on the drive, though I do not know the logistics). In practice, I have seen this work, but not for generational upgrades. I suggest you move your system array and see if it goes ok -- but only after you make a full backup.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In theory, yes, you should be able to move the drives over and have it work (yes, the information is stored on the drive, though I do not know the logistics). In practice, I have seen this work, but not for generational upgrades. I suggest you move your system array and see if it goes ok -- but only after you make a full backup.

...S

0 Kudos