Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Unable to rebuild RAID after installing new drive

PWard3
Beginner

Currently using Intel C600 Controller

Had a drive go bad in a Data array (RAID 5). Raid is listed as degraded and not failed.

We powered down the server, replaced the bad drive with a new one (same model and size) and when we boot up and launch Intel RSTe I do not have the option to rebuild the array with the new disk. We see the old disk listed as missing in the data volume and see the new disk listed below but the new disks' status is unknown and I cannot rebuild the array. I assume the fact that this is listed as unknown is my problem but I cannot figure out how to fix that. Tried using rstcli commands but have not had any success. they all error out stating that the commands wont work with the drive being in its current state.

Rebuild on hot insert is enabled. I tried clearing metadata on the drive but that did not help.

Tried booting into the Array config utility but it does not list the new disk anywhere on that menu.

Not sure what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fidelio,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) support and in regards to your situation we'll be more than glad to help you; in order to determine which way will be the most appropriate to assist you we'll need that you send us the Technical Specifications of your machine such as:

Motherboard Model and Manufacturer:

Processor Model:

Amount of RAM that you have installed:

Number of Storage devices, their model and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs) on your machine:

Version of Intel® RSTe (Enterprise) or Intel® RST (non-Enterprise) that you're using:

Operating System Version:

If possible please attach us the LOG Files generated by RSTe, depending on your Windows Version they could be found in the C:\Users\[username]\Intel folder or also you can use the Email option on the RSTe GUI to generate a report for your equipment.

Will be useful that you please indicate us also if the new drive that you've installed has been initialized and it's visible on the BIOS Configuration Utility of your equipment.

Once you've sent us that information we'll proceed with the necessary assistance and if you have additional details to your case or want to ask additional questions please don't hesitate to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
PWard3
Beginner

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Motherboard Model and Manufacturer: Intel S2600GZ

Processor Model: Intel64 Family 6 Model 62 Stepping 4 2.101 GHz

Amount of RAM that you have installed: 32GB

Number of Storage devices, their model and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs) on your machine:

8 drives total in the server

2 of them are 1TB Western Digital drives - WDC WD1003FBYZ-0 - These two drives are in a RAID1 for the OS and this is healthy

6 of them are 6TB Seagate - ST6000NM0044-1LW - These are in a RAID5 that is currently degraded.

I just realized that the 6 original drives in this raid are model ST6000NM0044-1LW and this replacement drive is ST6000NM0044-1FT. Could that be an issue?

Version of Intel® RSTe (Enterprise) or Intel® RST (non-Enterprise) that you're using: We are using RSTe version 4.6.0.2116

Operating System Version: Server 2012 R2 Standard

I'm not sure if the drive has been initialized. We tried to boot into the Array config utility (SCU Option ROM 4.2.0.1036) but the drive is not listed in there and we have no options to rebuild the Data array using the new disk. Do we need to initialize this disk in BIOS? We were thinking we could install the new disk and kick off an Array rebuild either in RSTe or in the Array config utility.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fidelio,

Thanks for your reply and we apologize for the delay in our answer; in regards to the situation that you're experiencing the difference on the disks shouldn't cause any troubles as long as they've similar specifications and the capacity it's the same or higher than the original drive; additionally we'll recommend that you please connect the new disk on the same port as the original one and initialize the disk, then launch the RAID Rebuild from the Windows GUI since it's a more recent version that the BIOS Utility.

Please let us know if this information it's useful for case; also, please remember that if you have more questions or want to add additional details to your case, don't hesitate to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
PWard3
Beginner

Chris,

Stupid question - Where should I initialize the disk? in BIOS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fidelio,

Thank you for contacting us again and in regards to your question would be recommendable to initialize the disk within the OS and then try the process.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fidelio,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your case and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fidelio,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your situation and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful to solve your questions.

We'll mark this question as solved, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos